Steering wheel restoration advice

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2020 | 08:56 AM
69 Ol' Blue

Steering wheel restoration advice

I just purchased a factory steering wheel for my 69 olds 442 because it was less cracked than my original. I plan to repair the cracks myself but wanted to hear from the CO community on their experience with POR-15 epoxy putty or KBS Coatings nuMetal epoxy putty. Which do you all prefer and why? Thanks in advance!
Old May 12th, 2020 | 03:45 PM

PC-7 or pc-11

I used PC-7 and I used coloring powders in it to change the color so it looked more like the imitation wood wheel, I am pretty sure most epoxies will work, as a caveat the epoxy WILL shrink over time so if you can and have time put on some epoxy and let it sit for as long as possible ( months) but most dont have that luxury. just remember you may have to come back some day for minor touch up. important thing is to get good and clean, open real small cracks to give a place for the epoxy to bite, once its on you can rough shape it before it hardens with an exacto knife then once fully hardened go through all the sanding etc. then prime and spray your steering wheel, I would consider to use adhesive promoter.
Old May 12th, 2020 | 04:28 PM
69 Ol' Blue

Thank you sir. I've watched a couple different YouTube videos and they each use a different product. I'm anxious to get started on it.
Old May 12th, 2020 | 04:56 PM

I do about what Eddie did I open up the cracks and fill with super glue and styrofoam dust is a little different though. The super glue mixture gets gets deep into the cracks and the styrofoam turns super glue into about twice as hard and creates a great primer for the Epoxy. I mostly use PC 11 as my final crack filler because it is white and I work generally with white bakelite steering wheels. I have found that rattle can paint doesn't hold up well with my sweaty hands but a hardened urethane does..... Best of luck others may have a different system but this works without a bunch expensive speciality products....Tedd
Old May 12th, 2020 | 05:02 PM
Gary

I used Pc 7 also.