SEM Paint formula

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:05 AM

SEM Paint formula

I am looking for the sem paint formula for dark green metallic interior on a 1970 cutlass any idea where i can find it they can mix it here but have nothing back further than 1980.
Old August 24th, 2012, 01:48 AM

If you go to SEM's site, they have an archive section with almost any reference you could want. They also have a list of distributors for paint on the site too.

If you can not find a distributor near you, Vinylpro.com will mix the paint for you, and ship the paint to you. It is not cheap, but beats buying new parts.
Old August 24th, 2012, 05:09 AM

I can get it mixed hear,for about $70.00/pint. I believe it is Dupont material that they use.It's the only place around here that I have been able to get interior colors mixed correctly.They still have the old books,with the samples,but I also bring a clean original interior piece,to match it.
They can put it in spray cans,but they will also tell you that by doing so,it can change the final result of the color.I use the spray bombs,with the glass jars.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:53 PM

Did you ever get this worked out ???
I tried the "Parts Place" branded metallic green interior paint from Parts Place, but it was pretty bad.
Constantly sprayed out silver instead of a mixed metallic green and I wasn't too happy with it.

This thread on Nastyz28 discusses the OER M24 Dark Green interior dye which is the same as the Parts Place brand above.
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86771

I tried going onto SEM's website with no luck on the flexible interior paints like I used on my other GM vehicle.
http://www.semproducts.com/product-c...ngs/color-coat

Here's the color chip card......no greens.
http://www.semproducts.com/index.php...file/view/619/

This is the PPG color chart on the TCP Globale site which doesn't help much.....
http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...obile-pg01.jpg

All I found on the paint ref database was the exterior colors......no luck on interior colors.
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...mobile&rows=50

I have my own HVLP setup and compressor, just wanted this to touch up some areas and repaint my dash.....
I want the flexible paints though like SEM uses because they don't scuff easy like cheap spray paints do, it bonds super well.

This is all I found, but Ditzler codes are not easy to reference since they changed to PPG in 1969 ??
The low gloss Ditzler-PPG code is 44173 and the flat is 44169, both Dark Green Poly.
If you go to TCP auto color library you can see what is supposed to be what gloss on the chip sheet.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 22nd, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:35 PM

I will get back at this over the winter. The products I use are DuPont,and I still have access to the original codes,but you reach a dead end,when trying to process it. I have to start from scratch with each color. I need to do all 3 shades of 70 blue,then I'll do the green.
The cans from the vendors are way off.
I noticed The Motorcar Co,in eastern Pa is offering all of the 70 interior colors,but I have not tried any myself.
Another thing you need to realize is that putting the paint in an aerosol can will usually change the finished color.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
Registered Luser

Dupont Spectro Master

If you have a local Auto Body supply Jobber, and they can mix Dupont, you can bring your part in, and match it up in the Spectro Master Catalog. It is a "color map". You will then have a code, that they will mix for you, RTS (ready to spray). Have it done in Medium Gloss Vinyl, as that is what was closest to OEM.

Don't forget, the most important aspect is the prep of the parts. Dupont also sells the cleaners and adhesion promoter....

Last edited by ent72olds; August 22nd, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:14 PM

Hey guys. SEM has a color match service. You contact them, I got the number from the website and called them.
http://www.semproducts.com
You send a sample, they match the color. They will send you the mix formula and you can get it mixed at a SEM distributor, or they will mix it and ship it to you.
I had them match some for a wagon I have because my local distributor couldn't do it. SEM mixed it there and shipped it, $41 for a quart, including shipping IIRC. It matched absolutely perfect. They are/were very easy to deal with, couldn't have asked for better treatment. They offered to send me a sample of the mix before I actually paid for the quart. I declined that and as I said, the match is perfect.
Their Color Coat is a paint and can be used on vinyl or metal and a lot of other things. It will look exactly the same when used on all the different surfaces, the vinyl will look exactly like the metal. Remember it is a paint, some people mistakenly think it is a dye.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:23 PM

Not exactly that easy. You need a nice clean color sample,but it needs to be perfectly flat,and can NOT have any grain or texture in it,or it will throw the color off.Otherwise,it would be fairly easy. Just about everything in the car has texture. Even the backside of a kick panel is not pure enough.
I have always used medium gloss or low gloss,depending on what the part is.The gloss level will also change the final color. I've had stuff look exact,until it dried,and the color changed dramatically.My dark saddle doesn't look exact until it is dry. This is why it takes me some trial and error.I don't want it close enough,I want it exact,and my customers expect the same.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
Not exactly that easy. You need a nice clean color sample,but it needs to be perfectly flat,and can NOT have any grain or texture in it,or it will throw the color off.Otherwise,it would be fairly easy. Just about everything in the car has texture. Even the backside of a kick panel is not pure enough.
I have always used medium gloss or low gloss,depending on what the part is.The gloss level will also change the final color. I've had stuff look exact,until it dried,and the color changed dramatically.My dark saddle doesn't look exact until it is dry. This is why it takes me some trial and error.I don't want it close enough,I want it exact,and my customers expect the same.
I didn't know that. When I called them they didn't mention that. The sample I sent was a piece of original vinyl which had been behind a trim piece on the second row of seats. It had a lot of texture as it had no wear, it is the Madrid grain vinyl pattern. Guess I just got lucky.
Thanks Brian, Mike
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:38 PM

Yes,you did. I have taken all kinds of pieces in,but never good enough,not enough there. There used to be a different guy that did it,and he could make anything happen. The guy that is there now,doesn't give as much effort,BUT,if I do have a good sample,he can concoct something and nail it.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 04:43 AM

I wonder if my good luck might be because I was dealing with the home office? The people who did the work on my job is the company headquarters. My local distributor quickly gave up on the job, couldn't do it.
I do so little of this sort of thing, I really feel lucky, and I thank you for sharing your experience with me.

You're the best Brian,
Mike
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:44 PM

I havnt seen this thread in a while,i have painted my console with sem never did find the exact code but after a few samples and a little tint magic pretty much exact i've been painting for 30+ years.I used to be able to get Marhyde here i really used to like it but no supplier here anymore,used to do seats and vinyl tops with it and never had any problems with it.I found it hard to believe it would not come off seats.Never been a big fan of spray bombs but i have used them.