Seat Track Question

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:58 AM

Seat Track Question

Guys,
I have a 1972 cutlass convertible. It has bucket seats. The question/concern I have is that I am 6' 2" tall, It makes driving this car fairly uncomfortable on long drives. Does anyone have any possible solutions for extending the seat track so that I can move the seat back a few inches? Maybe replace the tracks with something else?
Please help! Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by FIJIBLUE72
Guys,
I have a 1972 cutlass convertible. It has bucket seats. The question/concern I have is that I am 6' 2" tall, It makes driving this car fairly uncomfortable on long drives. Does anyone have any possible solutions for extending the seat track so that I can move the seat back a few inches? Maybe replace the tracks with something else?
Please help! Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
The safest thing to do is to drill out the spot welds on the seat brackets and move them rearward. This has a couple of potential problems, however. First, the seat belts and resulting crashworthiness of the car was designed with the original seat location. Moving it much further back will compromise the performance of the belts. It's your life, make your own choice.

The second problem is the floorpan. The factory brackets sit over the reinforcing crossmembers under the floorpan. Moving them rearward puts the load over unreinforced sheet metal. This is bad structurally and will eventually cause the floorpan to crack.