Seat Belts/Shoulder Harness

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Gary

Seat Belts/Shoulder Harness

I have been installing my headliner in my 72 Cutlass 442. I was getting ready to connect the shoulder Harness and noticed there was nothing that I could attach the other end of the harness to meaning there is nothing in the roof area to hold it up other than the bracket that has 2 bolts that attaches the shoulder harness in the rear passenger area. I was thinking that the other end to keep it from flopping around had to be secured with something. So I pulled the area of the headliner aloose to see if there was some mounting holes for a piece of hardware in the front part of the roof and I do not see any pre drilled holes. Does anyone have a photo of your shoulder belts on how its secured in the front roof area and really give me an idea how its assembled. the picture on the top I know where it attaches but I am confused what supports the othe end, the picture on the bottom. When I got the car the harness was just hanging on one end.

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:14 PM

Gary, there are two metal loop "hooks" for each belt. They screw into the trim support metal...I'll try to find a picture for you. The belt lays across the "hooks" to stay out of the way. I believe some cars were optioned with a solid piece of plastic that replaced the hooks...your car may have come equipped with that from the factory. But, if I recall, even those were screwed in.
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Gary

I think I know what u are talking about. I went ahead yesterday and purchased some hooks off of ebay. So I might just have to drill some holes in the trim support.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; July 16th, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old July 16th, 2012, 08:23 PM

Gary do you have an assembly manual? Those are the correct "hooks", you'll just need to measure to make sure you put them in the correct spot. If you don't have one, let me know and I'll look it up for you.
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Gary

I do have an assembly manual but I dont think that diagram is in there. I think that it would be in the Fisher Body Manual which I dont have. But I looked at the trim support after I pulled the headliner off the trim support and there appears to be indentions in it as to where they belt supports would need to be attached after its drilled. I am going to wait til I receive the hooks and see if the holes match up to those indentions. I am pretty sure that they are there for that. But appparently something else previously supported the shoulder belts.
Old July 18th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Gary do you have an assembly manual? Those are the correct "hooks", you'll just need to measure to make sure you put them in the correct spot. If you don't have one, let me know and I'll look it up for you.
Steve, I matched the holes with the hooks I received and they indeed line up with the indentions of the headliner support trim, so I drilled them and reattached the headliner. So now I will be able to have he shoulder belts supported correctly.

Thanks again