Seat belt restorer for custom sized order.

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2021, 12:10 PM

Seat belt restorer for custom sized order.

Creating a set of restored belts for the 67. I have the 2 fronts, and the 2 backs. I also have another set with which I can make a center rear. I want to make up a set of shoulder belts of the 66, 67 variety. I think this can be done with later style belt, upper mount, and making it female with a normal deluxe buckle. Or maybe they were narrower?

Would people please recommend me a custom belt restorer to fab me up the belts I want? Don't need a Parts Place style place, or a only sells belt sets place. Thanks.
Old April 16th, 2021, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I think this can be done with later style belt, upper mount, and making it female with a normal deluxe buckle. Or maybe they were narrower?
I don't know if they were all this way, but on my 70 Supreme with Deluxe belts the lap belts had a small buckle (fixed length, ratcheting self-adjuster on the outboard reel) and the shoulder belts were the larger ones, with a slide adjuster buckle on the floor mounted side. This prevented mixing up the lap and shoulder belt buckles.
Old April 16th, 2021, 03:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Creating a set of restored belts for the 67. I have the 2 fronts, and the 2 backs. I also have another set with which I can make a center rear. I want to make up a set of shoulder belts of the 66, 67 variety. I think this can be done with later style belt, upper mount, and making it female with a normal deluxe buckle. Or maybe they were narrower?

Would people please recommend me a custom belt restorer to fab me up the belts I want? Don't need a Parts Place style place, or a only sells belt sets place. Thanks.
The 1968-up cars used a male buckle fitting on the part of the shoulder belt that bolted to the roof. This made stowage in the clips much easier. I had shoulder belts made for my 67 Delta with this configuration (the normal female buckle end is bolted to the floor). The guy I use is Jesse Grooms. He's at Spring and Fall Carlisle.

Jesse Grooms
Cell 757-636-1032
Home 757-365-4919
Old April 16th, 2021, 04:36 PM

I would second Jesse Grooms. He made me a custom set of red belts for my vista cruiser and he restored the original black belts for my Toronado.

Old April 16th, 2021, 05:36 PM

Thanks all, that will help. Joe, Loaded, I'll call the gentleman soon and get such made.

Fun, I know they had buckles on the outboard long side coming from the roof edge in 66 and 67. The tab was a fixed length belt coming from same bolt as the lap belt inside belt (which had the typical buckle.) I believe by keeping the polarity backwards, they could keep it straight. When not in use, the tabbed belt on the inside sat there, and the long shoulder belt with buckle buckled onto a friction fit plastic tab somewhere behind the front seat on the quarter panel trim panel (or the B pillar for a 4 door or wagon.)

I actually just answered my question. I'll know the size of the shoulder buckle by whether or not it will fit on the plastic tab. Those Olds tabs are rare; I've seen a pic of one on the Maniac's wagon, pic attached, but I have obtained (just arrived today coincidentally) an NOS Chevy pack of them which are really close and I'll use them. Pic of that, too.

So, 66-67 used buckles on the roof outside strap for reversed polarity to keep them straight, 68-71 used different width buckles, and 72 used keyhole tabs and round pins for a one tab/one buckle setup.

Old April 17th, 2021, 05:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks all, that will help. Joe, Loaded, I'll call the gentleman soon and get such made.
Plan on waiting a week. He'll be at Spring Carlisle all next week.
Old April 18th, 2021, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Plan on waiting a week. He'll be at Spring Carlisle all next week.
Rgr that thanks.
Old May 17th, 2021, 12:10 PM

Update: Spoke with Jesse and am gathering original belts. Got most of the front setup, and I managed to remove the 442s back seat yesterday, which is a pain, and got all of these cursed low profile 13/16 seat belt bolts moving. Backed half of them halfway out; they're fighting the whole damn way, and called it good as I had to head home. No tags on those, but I did take some pictures for him. I'll get them done next time.