Restoring Interior

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Restoring Interior

I had a question. Has anybody used this company before?

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/

I found them while browsing the internet looking for alternatives to the interior kits made by Kanter and EZ Boy Interiors. Automotive Interiors actually has more colors and pattern options.

I removed the front seat from my 71 98 because I ordered two new seatbelts that I am going to install. I also want to recover the seats because the interior is starting to show its age. Unfortunately, Legendary doesn't make interiors for REAL cars like 98s. I am also not willing to spend the money for "original" fabric from SMS and have an interior shop redo my seats.

When I called Automotive Interiors they said their kits are "durable seat covers" that should be installed "over the original seat covers" if the originals aren't in horrible shape. They also said that you should use "duct tape" to seal any "rips or tears" in the original seat cover before installing the new cover.

My wife's VW Beetle has O'Reilly brand "cutsie" seat covers with elastic and strechy tie downs. I definitely don't want anything that cheap for the Olds. Any input would be appreciated. Check out my pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunsalamander14/
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:10 AM

I never even heard of them before...
However, get some fabric samples and photos of the styles you are interested in before ordering.
Evaluate the seat comfort before installing. This would be a good time to re-foam if needed. Is the burlap or fabric between the springs and the foam in good shape?
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:38 AM

Thanks for the reply Rob. I hadn't ever heard of this company either before I found their website. Overall my seats are in pretty decent shape there is one tear on the front seat and two small rips on the rear seat. They need to be recovered so that is why I am considering covers instead of having the seats completely redone with foam and everything.

Anyone else have experience with interior work?
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Past Administrator

Find some "Pimp Daddy" seat covers at WalMart.

Actually, if they describe their "Durable" seat covers in that way I don't think they would be what you want. Sounds like they are adding a caveat to prevent legal trouble because their stuff is inferior. What about shopping at J.C. Whitney? Some of the products they carry are good and the last time I looked they have many options from different vendors.
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:47 AM

What about shopping at J.C. Whitney?
I haven't checked out JC Whitney, usually they never have anything I need.
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM

TTT

I still need some help here guys. I have called this company multiple times; however, I get sort of a bad feeling about ordering from them. One would hope that they have excellent customer service and a good quality product, but I don't think it would be what I am looking for to recover my seats.

Does anyone have experience redoing interiors with products from companies like Kanter or EZ Boy Interiors? I have a feeling this is the kind of product Automotive Interiors sells. It is a bummer there isn't a company out there that does OEM style seat covers for the B/C body cars the way Legendary does for the Cutlass.

I think what I am going to do is talk to a local auto interior guy. One of my co-workers knows a guy from his barber shop that does interiors. Supposedley this guy is about 100 years old and still does interior work out of his garage with his sewing machine. My co-worker says that his barber has a really nice Lincoln that had custom interior done by that guy that is show quality. I will keep everyone posted.

In the mean time, let me know what you think.
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Registered Luser

Hey Olds64, are you looking for "original" ! I found NOS 3-tone material for my '63 Fiesta from SMS. Great customer service, and they send sample swatches for free. Of course, then you have to have an upholsterer stitch it up and it can add up but since you're saving so much on your rear window repair...
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM

I don't care about originality. I just want something that is going to be durable and look good. I currently have a tear in the front seat and some small rips in the rear seat. I want to interior to be servicable and attractive.
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would start with the old guy from the barber shop. I would also talk to a couple local shops. They should be able to recover the from seat pretty close to original. If you are getting a bad feeling about this company, then trust your gut. It is usually correct. Remember to send pictures.
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:31 AM

I will definitely post some pics. I think all I needed was reassurance that my gut feeling wasn't trying to lead me down the wrong road. I will start with the local shops and see what they tell me.
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Past Administrator

I asked your question over at the HAMB but have gotten no reply yet. That site is so huge a thread can get lost on the fourth page in ten minutes.
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:32 AM

No problem. That is why I like our website. It isn't super big.

I talked to the guy recommended by my friend last night. He is going to redo my interior. He was very professional and his prices are decent too. I figure it will be less than $1000 for him to stich me up some new seat covers in whatever material I want. Plus he will redo the foam and assemble everything for me. He said he can also redo my door panels to match. Overall I think that is a great deal considering I would have spent at least $500 on those generic seat covers.
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Past Administrator

Good deal, sounds like a better idea anyway. As always, we like pictures.
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:56 PM

I spoke to the guy today and decided on two different colors. I will drop the car off next week and I should have pictures by the middle of February.
Old February 25th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Past Administrator

I am updating this for Jesse. I spoke with him yesterday on the phone and his computer is kaput so he asked me to let everyone know that he got the car back and is very happy with the workmanship and appearance of it. He promises pictures soon. He commented that the dome/courtesy lamps are on all the time now and he has to dis-connect the battery to prevent it from dying. I recommended he look for a wire on the back side of one of the lamps to be pinched and shorting to ground or else a bad door frame switch. Any other recommendations? He doesn't want to take it back to the shop because they are so slow and he doesn't want to be without the car for another month.
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:21 AM

I needed that.

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Find some "Pimp Daddy" seat covers at WalMart.
LOL,
I needed a good laugh,
Thanks
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM
in love with a '71 98

I hope you get your computer back online soon Jesse, because I cant wait to see your sharp new interior!

I can't offer any advice about the interior lights, which I would assume you have sorted out by now, but I hope you got it all sorted out.
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Congrats on the new baby Jesse. You can post pictures. Everybody congratulated Grandpa. Hope all is going well.