Replacing Horn Button Emblem On A Sport Wheel

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2012, 09:06 PM

Replacing Horn Button Emblem On A Sport Wheel

Have a crack in the original emblem. I see you can buy a complete repro center cap, or just the emblem. The price differernce between the two in only 20.00, and I was able to remove the old emblem and remove the circular vinyl trim from the metal part. However, it looks to be pretty difficult to reinstall that vinyl part without damaging it or the new emblem- is it possible or should I just buy the whole unit?
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:22 AM

I would just up the money if you bust the first one trying to fix it then your out that money plus the complete one. Just my two cents good luck
Old March 26th, 2012, 04:40 AM

Not hard to take apart and put back together. Really only three rivets needed to be drilled out to dis-assemble and opposite to re-assemble----pretty straightforward.
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:05 AM

You can also soak it in warm water to get the rubber softened up some. You can lube it with mild soap or something slippery that is water soluble, rinse it well afterward. If you have yours apart you see there is a notch in the emblem which fits over a square nub in the rubber of the cap which centers it. I bought a repro button several years back, the one I got from TPP came with the emblem not installed. The repro button didn't have the square nub to position the emblem, requires a little extra work to get it looking right. And I did not take the rivets out to install the emblem, maybe I was doing it wrong, but I did finally get it done. They may be different now, that was several years ago.
Also I am not going to recommend soaking the emblems as I do not know how the silver paint on the back of the emblem would hold up, particullary the repro emblem which may be made in China or who knows where.
Good luck.

Last edited by 66luvr; March 26th, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old March 26th, 2012, 06:25 AM

Joe,

My emblem is busted too, right down the middle. I havnt touched it just becuase it's OEM, and i'm not really a repop fan.

Maybe try getting a horn button from scott, john or eric. I'm sure they have one between the 3 of them.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:29 AM

I just changed mine. I drilled out the 3 rivets. Dropped the whole thing in a small pot of boiling water. Fished it out with tongs and put it on a clean towel. The rubber softened right up. The metal piece and emblem came right out. I then dropped just the rubber back in, took it out and installed the emblem. Then dipped it in again and installed the metal piece. The hot water didn't hurt anything. I then pop rivetted it back together. Looks great.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by 69'442
I just changed mine. I drilled out the 3 rivets. Dropped the whole thing in a small pot of boiling water. Fished it out with tongs and put it on a clean towel. The rubber softened right up. The metal piece and emblem came right out. I then dropped just the rubber back in, took it out and installed the emblem. Then dipped it in again and installed the metal piece. The hot water didn't hurt anything. I then pop rivetted it back together. Looks great.
who did you get the emblem off of?
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 66luvr
You can also soak it in warm water to get the rubber softened up some. You can lube it with mild soap or something slippery that is water soluble, rinse it well afterward. If you have yours apart you see there is a notch in the emblem which fits over a square nub in the rubber of the cap which centers it. I bought a repro button several years back, the one I got from TPP came with the emblem not installed. The repro button didn't have the square nub to position the emblem, requires a little extra work to get it looking right. And I did not take the rivets out to install the emblem, maybe I was doing it wrong, but I did finally get it done. They may be different now, that was several years ago.
Also I am not going to recommend soaking the emblems as I do not know how the silver paint on the back of the emblem would hold up, particullary the repro emblem which may be made in China or who knows where.
Good luck.

Mike - that's what I'm trying to do - avoid drilling out those rivets. So how did you push the vinyl part back in place - what tool did you use - and did you install the emblem first before putting the vinyl part back on the plate, or did you push the emblem in after that?

Thanks a bunch!!

Joe
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Joe,

My emblem is busted too, right down the middle. I havnt touched it just becuase it's OEM, and i'm not really a repop fan.

Maybe try getting a horn button from scott, john or eric. I'm sure they have one between the 3 of them.

Tony - how's it going? Hope eveything is well - nice job on the cowl repair!

When are you going to start a side business repairing grilles and tail lights?

Joe
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
who did you get the emblem off of?
Sorry, not sure where I got it from. I had it for a while.
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Tony - how's it going? Hope eveything is well - nice job on the cowl repair!

When are you going to start a side business repairing grilles and tail lights?

Joe

Hey Joe, It's going well!

I just recently got a beautiful set of stone shield/headlamp housings from Scott, the paint is drying right now, but here's a picture of what they look like on primer with your grilles.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo 1.jpg (44.3 KB, 484 views)
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Mike - that's what I'm trying to do - avoid drilling out those rivets. So how did you push the vinyl part back in place - what tool did you use - and did you install the emblem first before putting the vinyl part back on the plate, or did you push the emblem in after that?

Thanks a bunch!!

Joe
Joe, I didn't take it apart, the rivets stayed right where they were, I just worked it in through the top with my hands. There is enough rubber to get hold of, I just pulled it back and worked it into place a little at a time. The button I had was pliable enough to work with & after I warmed it up it was even better. I didn't harm anything while working on it. I was very careful to NOT pust on the center of the emblem, trying to keep from cracking the new emblem. I pulled the rubber back far enough the emblem didn't need to much "persuasion" to go in. I just took my time, no real problem. I'm not trying to convince you to do as I did, just stating my story.
I used an old Buick button, they are the same as the Olds. I actually used a Buick 3 spoke wheel. Not much on the 66 is as it is "supposed" to be, it is as I want it to be. A pic of the wheel is included in the pics in my album.
Again, good luck,
Mike