Removing plastic part of dash on 68 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2012, 09:05 AM

Removing plastic part of dash on 68 Cutlass Supreme

Hi guys, I want to hydrographic all the plastic piece in my car with a carbon fiber pattern, I was wondering how complex it is to remove the front plastic portion of the dash like in the picture. Is it something you want to only do when doing a full interior restoration?

Old November 8th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
Hi guys, I want to hydrographic all the plastic piece in my car with a carbon fiber pattern, I was wondering how complex it is to remove the front plastic portion of the dash like in the picture. Is it something you want to only do when doing a full interior restoration?
It's not difficult but it takes time. The first time is hard because you'll have to learn where all the speed nuts are and how to get to them. The plastic cannot come out without the whole dash including the wiring. An Assembly manual helps a lot. www.wildaboutcars.com has the assembly manual for free.

There's some good info on removing the dash here:

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=82024

Last edited by allyolds68; November 8th, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:54 AM

easy as pie

unbolt the fusebox from the firewall, and unplug the parts that go to the floor cable, courtesy lights & switches, park brake, dimmer switch, heater stuff, etc. Speedo Cable.

Remove the glovebox and steering column. Might as well take the seats out for easy access, unless you are young and/or slim.

Remove all the dash pal nuts and pull out the dash/ wiring assembly after disconnecting all the things you missed before.

Take all the switches out - it helps to have the special tool for the ign and wiper bezels but turning the switch while convincing the bezel CCW by hand works too. Undo all the gage pods- remove the connectors from the pins super carefully and maybe spray lube 'em first. Undo all the clips holding the wiring to the dash.

Then just remove the dash plastic from the dash pad.

Maybe an hour, tops

It might be better to buy a 2nd dash plastic and work your magic on that, then swap the pcs out in one session so the memory of what goes where is fresh. Otherwise, TAKE MANY PHOTOS. Especially of the ENDS of wires- where they go to. And the wire holders.
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
It might be better to buy a 2nd dash plastic and work your magic on that, then swap the pcs out in one session so the memory of what goes where is fresh.
I think I have a spare 68 plastic dash section for $45 + shipping if you want to go that route
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I think I have a spare 68 plastic dash section for $45 + shipping if you want to go that route
Thanks for the posts guys. Helped me out a bit.

I think I want to buy a 2nd one and take my time with it. I'll shoot you a PM right now about the spare you have.
Old November 9th, 2012, 03:17 AM

A power driven 1/4 inch ratchet and various extentions would make it easier also...
Old November 9th, 2012, 04:56 AM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
Thats what I recommend.Buy a donor from Ebay .Craigs list one fo our friends on Classic Olds.That way you will get to know the locations of all pf the studs.And you can experiment..I restore 66/67 IPs but am looking to expand into the 68 -72 ...Let me know if I can help
Ron Roth
586-556-1234