Rearview mirror problem

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2011 | 07:54 AM

Rearview mirror problem

I have a rearview mirror from my 72 Cutlass that has a maplight. The mirror needs resilvering. So I took it to a place to get it resilvered and they cannot get the mirror out of the case. They sent it to another shop that they work with and they could not either. They fear breaking the glass or case. Any ideas on how to remove this mirror? I cannot find a replacement mirror with the maplight or I'd just get a new one. I've thought about getting another mirror to put in that case and just breaking the mirror out of the old one. What other mirrors would fit in that case?
Old July 13th, 2011 | 02:15 PM
same but different

This can be a real challenge. You'll need a hair dryer or a heat gun. A couple of small screw drivers to pry with, and probably a third hand.. a helper. The stainless case of the mirror is for the most part, pretty durable. The key is getting that "rubber" seal out of the way..carefully.

Now a days, I probably wouldn't try it....I feel your pain. I would rather try my luck at finding another (used) usable mirror/assembly. Sorry the mirror shop that resilvers these probably doesn't have anyone around that stills remembers how to do these....they should.

At least they didn't break it.

Oh, and the little plastic switch assembly for these things are (now) pretty brittle and can often turn to dust when messed with, so be careful of that. If you have a good one, make sure you hold on to it. Sorry not much help, Good Luck.
Old July 13th, 2011 | 03:02 PM

I recently did this myself, took weeks of soaking it in hot water little by little and pulling it off. The plastic actually melted to the metal where the map light is as the map light gets hot, that was the toughest part to remove. I got myself an extra used mirror before I tried it though as I did not want to break it. Ultimately you can replace the mirror with a new one, it just will not be beveled so the night switch won't do any good for you - other than that it will work.
Old July 13th, 2011 | 04:27 PM

I faced this last year, I carefully used a heat gun, i pulled up the corner and used a small plastic scraper while applying heat. When done cleaned stainless and buffed. And used 3-M heavy duty weatherstrip adhesive to hold glass in place.
Old July 13th, 2011 | 05:03 PM

is it the modern GM rearview with map lights? If you can, take a pic and post it. I have around 9 rearview mirrors, some with map lights and a few with lights and compass. If it is similar to what i have then just pm me you address and ill send you one.
Old July 14th, 2011 | 07:28 AM

It's the original mirror off my 72 Cutlass. It does not mount on the windshield. It's still at the shop but I'll take pics when I get it back.

It seems like heat and patience is the way to go. I think I'll try it and if all else fails I could get a mirror without the map light or put a new glass in mine and not have the night function.
Old July 14th, 2011 | 08:00 AM

Its ok no need for a pic. I thought it might be a newer GM mirror so I was just going to give you one.
Old July 20th, 2011 | 06:20 AM

In for the info on how to separate the mirror.