Rear seat bottom upholstery install

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2012, 06:21 PM

Rear seat bottom upholstery install

Does anyone have pictures of how the new upholstery attaches to the rear of the seat frame on a '72 Supreme? The holes on the frame do not easily accommodate hog rings, although those oval shaped holes are where the original covers were attached. I tried several times to attach here, but the rings do not have enough room to fully close. I did not have this problem with the seat back, as the holes had plenty of clearance for the rings to fully close when compressed. I had to abort this project today due to sanity-preservation issues. Chumley
Old January 28th, 2012, 08:40 PM

The "structural" connection on the rear-of-rear-seat-bottoms aren't any holes....the material is attached to the springs themselves via hog rings.

The hog rings hold the seat cover fabric channel that has the wavy rod/wire slipped inside it. They "connect" this wire/rod to corresponding seat springs.

After that is attached you have a vinyl flap that isn't "structural"....it's flopped over the top edge and down the backside where it gets hog ringed in place.

You need to attach this wave wire to the rear seatsprings bottom/underside before attaching the seatcover along the front edge/underside.

See pic....might help some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3807.jpg (82.4 KB, 52 views)
Old January 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM

Thanks, this helps immensley. The cover from Legendary has no listing wire, just the tough gray material for the rings to go through. I thought that when I tore the seat down, the rings were somehow through those oval holes. Fitting the old cover back over the frame, the old hog ring holes in the fabric seem to line up with those oval shaped holes on the frame. But there is no way you can hog ring to those holes. The metal ridge is way too wide. I'll tackle it again today and try to take some pictures for others like me who might not be the sharpest tool in the shed. Thanks again, Chumley
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:35 AM

Since there's probably a lot less 'activity' in the back seat these days, it wont be hazardous to miss a couple - three, either!!
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:23 PM

70Post, thanks again for the tip. Finished the seat this afternoon. It came out the best of all my seats. (I guess practice on the others paid off) Forgot to take pictures before I sealed up the back, but here are some pictures. The pleats actually line up with the seat back as well, so I 'm happy! Chumley
Attached Images
backseat bottom 001.jpg (47.8 KB, 36 views)
backseat bottom 002.jpg (47.1 KB, 34 views)
backseat bottom 003.jpg (63.7 KB, 33 views)
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:30 PM

Looks great! Did you do the back yet?
Old January 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM

Looks excellent!!

The Legendary seat covers will have one of two features for attachment in various areas.

>The grey colored, sort of "plasticky" woven channel WITH a somewhat flexible listing insert already inside the channel...

>BUT....you will see numerous areas where they sewed on this same grey colored listing "sleeve" but there's nothing inside it. The sleeve will appear FLAT and may be exposed on both sides of the line where they sewed it on. THESE "empty" sleeves are supposed to have your old "wave wire rods" slipped into them (or you can use a flexible listing/edge wire if you can source it locally). Look CLOSELY at those empty grey sleeves.....one side of them will be a channel that you can open up on the end to slip the wire into.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:21 PM

That's interesting. You would think after fumbling around with this project for several hours, I would have noticed the sleeves. But then again, I can't see something right in front of my face (just ask my wife) I don't have the seat mounted yet, so I will take a closer look. Thanks for all the info. Yea Rob, I had already done the seat back, but some of the grey material we are talking about is exposed on the bottom part a bit. I'm not sure if this will be covered when the seat bottom is fully in place or not. I will post a picture so you can see, and invite any solutions if this is the case. I'll be checking your thread closely when my window sweeps get here from Legendary. Yeah, I have to assemble my rear panels, as they did not have the rails to build me a set. That should be fun. Chumley
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:43 PM

Chumley - I just finished up a set of Legendary covers for a '70 442 convert. The rear seat BOTTOM.....

>The only place on that particular cover you have a provision to insert the "wavy rod/wire" is at the rear of the cover. The other three sides (front and L and R side) have the grey listing material also BUT Legendary already encloses a somewhat flexible type listing material in there that the hog rings grab onto.

>The "wavy rod/wire" piece is approx 40-42" long