Rear seat

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 03:21 PM
foo

Rear seat

Is there some sort of trick to make it easier to get the rear seat out on my 70 442?
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:43 PM
car guy

There is a little bracket that the seat frame sits down in to on both sides of the lower front. Just push at the bottom front toward the back of the car and pull up to clear the bracket. Takes less than 2 seconds to get out the bottom part. The top is either fastened by two screws at the bottom or not I've seen it both ways. You then just pull straight up to release it at the back.
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by gearheads78
There is a little bracket that the seat frame sits down in to on both sides of the lower front. Just push at the bottom front toward the back of the car and pull up to clear the bracket. Takes less than 2 seconds to get out the bottom part. The top is either fastened by two screws at the bottom or not I've seen it both ways. You then just pull straight up to release it at the back.
That's the way it should work, but I've ran into cars with the stupid bracket welded in off target a bit and it took more than a simple push backward to get the eye on the seat frame free. Sometimes a flat steel wrecking bar is needed to get enough leverage against the seat base. Makes one wonder how they ever got the thing in at the factory in the first place.
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Since you guys are all talking about taking the rear seats in and out I have a question too. I have the rear seat out of my 69 right now and just got the new rear door wind lace I was waiting for so I will be reinstalling the seats. I have read that you should put anti squeak on the seat wire brackets that fit into the brackets that hold the seats. Does anyone know what this is or use it?
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:48 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Doug69Cutlass
Since you guys are all talking about taking the rear seats in and out I have a question too. I have the rear seat out of my 69 right now and just got the new rear door wind lace I was waiting for so I will be reinstalling the seats. I have read that you should put anti squeak on the seat wire brackets that fit into the brackets that hold the seats. Does anyone know what this is or use it?
I have never seen anyone use anything for that but felt would probably do what you want to do.
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM

I guess since it didn't have anything on the brackets when I took it apart and it didn't squeak I decided I am not going to put anything on them.

Thanks,
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:39 AM

Angry Secret screw

I have seen some backrests that have a philips screw on the 'trunk side' after fighting with it for ten minutes I go into the trunk (servants entrance) then have to figure out what I am dealing with then find out that they put a philips screw in the top horizontal bar under the parcel shelf... as for the seat bottom, try using a rubber mallet to strike the seat rearward to disengage the hook...