Rear conv armrest panels

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:07 AM

Help needed w/Rear conv armrest panels

What is the best type of adhesive to use when securing the covers to these panels? I tried two different spray adhessives, the second was an industrial spray which I got from a resto shop. It held for a while then slowly started peeling off. Ive noticed that these sprays never really dry, they remain tacky even months later. Any help appreciated
Thanks, Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0169.jpg (68.0 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Beob; March 3rd, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:12 AM

I have had bad experiences from different types of contact cement. Typically it goos up after being in the heat. I have heard 3M 08090 is THE thing to use, though i have not tried it yet.
I need to talk with my upholstery guy about some things and will see what he used - it was permanent as rock...

Dap weldwood, Elmers contact cement, 3M super 77, and damplifier second skin adhesives were all total failures when exposed to 100* temps when used on vinyl.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:31 AM

I'm sold on 3M Super Trim adhesive(08090). I used this on my vinyl top, headliner, package tray, and sticks great. Just be sure you don't get it on too heavy, and let it get almost dry before bonding the surfaces together. I'm going to be recovering my armrest panels also, but I need to get some jute padding to go underneath. Looking at your picture, I didn't know that a cigarette lighter was an option for the back seat area. Chumley
Old March 3rd, 2011, 10:37 AM

08090 was the only thing that I heard that was recommended on vinly tops. Being that is about the only vinyl piece subjected to such wide temperature extremes, it would prove the 08090's worth.

Originally Posted by Chumley
I didn't know that a cigarette lighter was an option for the back seat area.
Thats not a lighter, but a light. Courtesy light that is... The lens, bulb, and socket have been removed leaving just the bezel. The socket and bulb goes in hole...
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:28 AM

Bet you never tried to put a cigarette lighter in that hole, did you?
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:18 AM

I'm sold on 3M Super Trim adhesive(08090). I used this on my vinyl top, headliner, package tray, and sticks great. Just be sure you don't get it on too heavy, and let it get almost dry before bonding the surfaces together. I'm going to be recovering my armrest panels also, but I need to get some jute padding to go underneath. Looking at your picture, I didn't know that a cigarette lighter was an option for the back seat area. Chumley
Let's emphasize this, as that's where most people go wrong. They try to stick them together before the glue has set up properly, and then it never dries because it is stuck between a piece of metal and a piece of vinyl and the VOC's can't get out.

It takes some practice to get the set up time right (it varies with temperature and humidity), that's where a few scrap pieces come in very handy.
Old March 4th, 2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Bet you never tried to put a cigarette lighter in that hole, did you?
Hole was too small and my neighbor was borrowing my SBFH....
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:27 AM

Thanks guys, I looked into the 3m trim adhesive and they say it does work for bonding vinyl to metal, so I will give it a shot.
Thanks, Rob
P.S. I am a person who usually reads directions, so if it says wait several minutes before bonding, thats what I will do. Thanks

Last edited by Beob; March 4th, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:29 AM

Thanks for your help, by the way you are my favorite character on Pawn Stars!
Rob