Plastic cover behind pedals, under dash?

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Plastic cover behind pedals, under dash?

I have a question regarding the plastic cover that goes behind the pedals under the dash. This is located at the transition between carpet and firewall insulation pad. The one that came with my '68 Cutlass Supreme has two mounting holes, however there is only one corresponding threaded hole on the firewall to attach it. I have the same piece from my old '70 but it is much different, and again the mounting holes don't match up with anything on the firewall. Do I have the right piece, or is my firewall missing something? In case it matters, my car currently has a 4 speed but looks to have originally been an auto car.

I've attached a picture to show the one that came with the car (left) and the one from my '70 (right), as well as the area it mounts to (you can just make out the right side mounting hole).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

IMAG1087.jpg

IMAG1089.jpg
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:53 PM

The one furthest to the left seems to be the correct one. There should be two studs with those funky flat type nuts I see there is a rubber grommet where one should be, and the other seems to have a piece of plastic or something wrapped around it. If I was home, I'd be able to save the pic, circle what I'm speaking of and repost... I don't have such program on the GOV computer...

John
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That's a toe kick panel. The one on the right is definitely the same for all 70-72 automatics. Don't know if the design was different in 68/69. It does look like there are 2 holes that line up fairly close with it; the second one looks to be just under the clutch pedal
Old January 29th, 2013, 01:46 PM

The left toe kick panel (thanks for the correct term) is the one that came with the car. However, it was only held on by the right side mounting hole. It attaches to a bent metal tab on the firewall that you can see just under the right side of the column (you can see the rusty sheetmetal screw head). When the toe kick panel is attached to this, there is no corresponding mounting hole on the firewall directly beneath the mounting hole on the toe kick panel. I know the toe kick panel is positioned correctly because both the right side mounting hole and the "neck" that wraps around the steering column line up.

If you look at the edge of the rubber insulation directly under the fuse box, the left mounting hole for the toe kick panel ends up about 3/4" to the right of that.
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I looked up that cover in the GM Parts manual and it's a little confusing based on their descriptions. I think the same panel (they call it a cover) was used from 68-72.

Someone who will know is Mike (allyolds68). Suggest you shoot him a PM and ask. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...o=newpm&u=8244