Painting/ restoring kick panels 1970

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2021 | 11:34 AM

Painting/ restoring kick panels 1970

My non ac kick panels are in rough shape, texture is dry and flaking etc..wanted to buy some repro new ones but they’re all dark colors. My interior is gold, anybody know if those dark black repro kick panels would take gold paint ? Is there a vinyl primer perhaps that would cover the black first? My concern is bleeding through or not getting the correct color because it’s such a dark base. If I could find some really good used light colored ones I would feel better about it. Any ideas?
Old July 3rd, 2021 | 08:01 PM

You know to check the repro manufacturer for all the A-bodies, right? Someone out there just might sell the right grain light or gold kick panels for a Chevelle or Skylark.

GM reused and renamed colors or at least exterior finishes along the way. My ‘66 Olds Autumn Bronze is apparently the same as ‘69 Chevy Aztec Bronze. So you might try variations on gold interior finish names just to see what pops up. I believe Buick may have had a few gold interior finishes around 1970.

If not, I think you’re on the right path to primer them light and cover with gold. I’d get some extra paint for touch ups since kick panels, well, get kicked.

Also, just an idea from left field, but I wonder if you could get a correct color vinyl wrap and cut it to fit? Might be a durable solution.

Chris