Newbie with a 1969 Cutlass convertible

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2020, 12:31 PM

Newbie with a 1969 Cutlass convertible

Hello All,
I am a new owner of a 1969 Cutlass convertible and am looking to redo the console install. The car originally came with a bench seat and the previous owner converted the car to buckets and a console. When he did the shifter/console install he did a poor job just screwing some long bolts to hold console in place. I have since taking the shifter and console out and would like to do it correctly so I bought the console brackets to weld in for starters.
So my fist question is where the bracket location is supposed to be? Does anyone have any pics or measurements I can refer to? Also, the same thing with the shifter, does anyone have any pics of an original mounted one I can use for reference?
I searched the forum briefly but did not come up with anything. Hopefully someone can help locate some info for me.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide!
~Frank

Old April 26th, 2020, 12:45 PM

Hello and welcome to the site. Your best bet is to get your hands on a 1969 assembly manual. These are reproduced and are available through pretty much all of the resto places (Fusick, Parts Place, Inline Tube, etc.). I don't believe it has a detailed drawing showing dimensioned references for the console brackets but it will show all the detail regarding the shifter and console assembly and installation. It will be an invaluable resource for you. While you're at it, try to track down a 1969 Chassis Service Manual. This is the book that each dealership kept in the service department and will show you in detail how to do all the necessary repairs. It's not reproduced but copies turn up periodically at swap meets, eBay, etc. Expect to pay a good chunk of change for one of these if you find one but it's worth every penny if you work on the car yourself.