New stereo Kenwood

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2010, 05:56 PM

New stereo Kenwood

Anbody paynig attn knows I have been asking a loty of questions. what started as a Change from mechanical oil pressure to electronic has resulted in a complete removal of interior. My question since I have every thing out is can I run 6 speakers in my car? I was thinking of the 2 kick panel, two rear and a speaker where the front orriginal went. My deck can handle 4 speakers but wondering if I can run two off the same circuit? I do imagine this would cut down on the watts for those 4 speakers? I can always take this stereo back and get one that will handle more then 4 speakers.
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM

When adding more speakers, the question is more about Ohm's than Watts. As you add speakers, your Ohms will decrease as your watts per speaker increase. If your stereo output is measured at 8 Ohm's, your probably fine. Any less and you begin taking chances.

I have an older Jensen in my 71 (~1989) and have run 6 speakers on it for years with no trouble.

The only time I ran into Ohm trouble was on a TEAC home entertainment receiver, never on a car unit. I played with many radios back in the late 80's early 90's, and never had a problem, so I was shocked (no pun intended) when I blew one side of the TEAC by doubling up the # of speakers on the circuit.
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:25 AM

thank you
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:32 AM

No problem, I hope I helped. Keep us posted on the speaker install.

I'd love to see pics of your interior progress!
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 71supreme
When adding more speakers, the question is more about Ohm's than Watts. As you add speakers, your Ohms will decrease as your watts per speaker increase. If your stereo output is measured at 8 Ohm's, your probably fine. Any less and you begin taking chances.

I have an older Jensen in my 71 (~1989) and have run 6 speakers on it for years with no trouble.

The only time I ran into Ohm trouble was on a TEAC home entertainment receiver, never on a car unit. I played with many radios back in the late 80's early 90's, and never had a problem, so I was shocked (no pun intended) when I blew one side of the TEAC by doubling up the # of speakers on the circuit.
Basically what you'd have to do, run the rear speakers off of the rear speaker outputs, typical car speakers are 4ohms, unless you're running something like Infinity, which are around 2.66ohms. Most decks can't really sustain high volumes lower than 4ohms, they'll begin to cutout and and eventually cause damage.

You would want to run all 4 front speakers in series so the left channel would read 8ohms and the right would read 8ohms. Unless you can find speakers that are 2ohm, which would result in 4ohm in series.

Remember the higher your resistance the less your speakers will perform, so finding 4ohm total load would sound quite better than 8ohm. Or you could run a 4ch amp in the car and use that for your 6x9's and 6 1/2's in the kicks, and then run the center channel off of the deck. If you have the interior gutted, wouldn't require too much more work....just a couple bucks.

If you need me to better explain myself....let me know.....