New seat covers

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2009, 05:01 PM

New seat covers

Just got my new seat covers for my buckets and rear seat. I also got the carpeting. I bought these from Legendary and I must say the color is a match and the quality looks excellent. Is there a article some where that would walk me through doing the seats mtself ? I was also given the 25% discount which was mentioned by somebody on the list. I thought the price was very fair.

tim72
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM

Use hog ring pilers they will hold the clips easy while your hands busy stretching and holding the covers.
Start with the back sets. It was semi-easy. Take photos before cutting the clips. Pay close attention to the back of the bottom. There is a rod that needs to be removed and used in you new covers. I POR15 my rod and let dry over night.
Mark your frame were the pipping is located and center pipping.
Cut hog rings and remove old cover.
Dry fit the cover no rings finding center. Take off and start at the rod.
Note: catch the rod every other spring, and when you fold over the back stop catch the rod also again ever other spring at least.
I put a few to holding the rod first and then pulled the sides to make the cover center on the frame and then attached the front. Only putting a few clips at a time on each side, then the front. Then when it was in place I hog ringed every where I could. Only catching the piping and never cut in to the stitching for any reason. It is going to be tight, massaging the material while stretching, and/or lay it in the sun before starting.

Last edited by hamm36; December 30th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:34 PM

Tim,

Glad you liked them - I have had heard no real complaints or issues with Legendary stuff, at least any that were not corrected by them...
Their slightly higher price is definetely worth paying for color match and quality.
Let us know how you do on the installation.

The back seat is pretty self explanitory - HAMM36 summed it up well, as he just did it.
The front seat can be a bear, so that may be best left for a pro... The headrests are easy to do yourself.
Old April 12th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Ham/Rob,
thanks for your advice on this. I plan on sand blasting every thing and then 415. Have either of you tried a steamer to help strech the materail? also has either of you tried the buckets? I ordered the new foam from Legendary for the front seats. Ham looks like you did a fine job on your rear seat. I hope mine looks as nice.

Tim72
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by tim72
I hope mine looks as nice. Tim72
It will ! The top back was harder then the bottom.
I have a bench seat - but I think I will give it a go when I get the car back from paint and I can land 25% off with free shipping.
You might need a Fisher Body Service Manual, and
http://www.legendaryautointeriors.co...ON%20GUIDE.pdf

If you need hog rings Sunbelt Fabric Inc 214-421-9882 Dallas has them. I do not know shipping, but they were 6.99 lb. That is enough to to front and back of anything. They also have the spring clips, I did not get any and I wish I did. I will need them for the front.

Last edited by hamm36; December 30th, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by tim72
Ham/Rob,
thanks for your advice on this. I plan on sand blasting every thing and then 415. Have either of you tried a steamer to help strech the materail? also has either of you tried the buckets? I ordered the new foam from Legendary for the front seats. Ham looks like you did a fine job on your rear seat. I hope mine looks as nice.

Tim72
415? You mean POR15? Neat abreviation!
A steamer is what the pros use to heat it and make it pliable. If you have one, try it - should work well. Just try not to capture too much water inside the covers. When i did my headrest covers, i just heated them in the oven along with an accurate thermometer allowing no higher than 120*. It allowed just enough stretch.
If you live in the hot sunny states, letting the sun heat them would work well, too.

I have not tried buckets, but they ~may~ be easier than the split bench.
You could always try it and if worse came to worse, take it all to a pro.
Just take a lot of digital pictures during disassembly in case you need help getting it back together.