Interior paint recomendations

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Interior paint recomendations

Im looking for some tips & recomendations for the correct kind of Interior paints to use. I need it for the plastics around the windshield, seatbelts, arm rests, rear windshield, center console & around the back windows. I tried experimenting with the local autoparts store paints but its flaking off. I was reading about latex???

I want to do this right the 1st time so any tips would be AWESOME
Thanks
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM

I had the same concerns on the 69 442 I am working on. I searched for interior paints/dye online with no success. I used some on a 71 Vette several years ago, but could not find any for the Olds. My car has two colors of blue on the interior metal an plastic/vinyl, so I had to have four different paints. I gave up looking and took the interior paint codes from the manual along with an example of each color paint from the car to the local (Waco TX) Carquest Paint Store. He was able to look up the codes and mix up the four different type paints. (two for metal and two for plastic) After he mixed he tested against the existing samples and tweeked two of them just a little. I was very pleased with the results. Get ready because the vinyl paint is expensive, but it does stick. If you don't have Carquest, find a good paint shop in your areaand they should be able to help. (Carquest used Dupont products)
Good Luck
Ross

Also, when you paint the lower steering column cover use the same paint you used on the dash for a good match. It is metal paint on a plastic piece and I used an adhesion promoter, but it looks fine with no problems.