installing original radio in dash again?

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:34 PM

installing original radio in dash again?

So my latest project has been to replace the dash wiring ( which was previously spliced and melted beyond recognition ) and the dash itself.

The dash I had previously the p.o had cut a hole to fit an aftermarket radio. The new dash i have has never been cut. I have the original am radio but I am failing to see how it would be mounted.

I'm guessing im just missing the brackets needed to secure factory radio. Anyone have any suggestions or pics on how i might get this back in there?

thanks in advance

steve
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:36 PM

PM me with your email and I can send you the assembly manual page

Last edited by stevengerard; March 3rd, 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:17 PM

Just a thought, and what I did, because I wanted to keep the stock look but have a "new style" radio with all the modern features was get the Retro Sound radio, this thing is fantastic and would highly recomend it
Old March 4th, 2011, 05:24 AM

The factory radio was mounted using the nuts on the radio control shafts and a cheezy plastic strap on the back that connected up under the dash to where the middle AC vents are.
When I got my car, there were no back mounts so I fabbed a metal bracket that secured it to the lower metal dash structure.
No rear support will eventually damage the dash, and radio and cause annoying squeaks and squauks while driving.
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
PM me with your email and I can send you the assembly manual page
thanks for the pages
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by jo75olds
Just a thought, and what I did, because I wanted to keep the stock look but have a "new style" radio with all the modern features was get the Retro Sound radio, this thing is fantastic and would highly recomend it
Definitely on the list of things I want to do, but for now think it will be cool to mount the original one i have then hide a modern one in glove box.

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
The factory radio was mounted using the nuts on the radio control shafts and a cheezy plastic strap on the back that connected up under the dash to where the middle AC vents are.
When I got my car, there were no back mounts so I fabbed a metal bracket that secured it to the lower metal dash structure.
No rear support will eventually damage the dash, and radio and cause annoying squeaks and squauks while driving.
Definately know the plastic strap i have a piece of it left on my radio lol. Yeah i'm probably going to fab something up. what did you utilize?
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by g77rvd
definately know the plastic strap i have a piece of it left on my radio lol. Yeah i'm probably going to fab something up. what did you utilize?
I just took a plate of aluminum and cut and bent up something that bolted to the back of the radio and bolted to the bottom metal rail of the dash below the radio. I was able to use a big hole that was factory drilled in the dash for the bolt so i would not have to drill more.

Unfortunately I have no pictures of that creation... Just use your imagination I suppose.
Old March 5th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

For the strap on the back you might want to try plumbers tape. It like a metal strap that comes in a roll and has holes in it about every inch. Get it at Home Depot and cost you 3-4 bucks.
Old March 5th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Registered

There's supposed to be a bracket to the dash, my car has that and the strap.
Maybe they use that nylon strap to to dampen shock and vibration and to allow some flexibilty so the unit isn't damaged?
It seems like they would of just used another steel bracket otherwise?

wel184s.jpg
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:42 PM

I think that metal bracket that mounts between the back of the radio and the bottom of the dash is also supposed to serve as the ground connection for the radio. I also vaguely recall that behind the plastic facia on the dash there is a thin metal ring through which one of the **** stalks protrudes.
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM

Another thought just depends on your build goals.Currently on the 64 F-85 "Post" build I plan on installing the restored orignal AM radio but with a resto-dual speaker 4&10 modern front speaker for weather and info purposes. I'm going to mount the Rev-Limiter in the glove box for the bad boy.
Old March 9th, 2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by therobski
Another thought just depends on your build goals.Currently on the 64 F-85 "Post" build I plan on installing the restored orignal AM radio but with a resto-dual speaker 4&10 modern front speaker for weather and info purposes.
If you plan to use an original AM radio, you would be better off with a single 4x10 in the front (as long as it is 10 Ohm).
The dual was for getting two channels (stereo) from that one speaker.
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Good question, I don't know, may have bought this without doing alittle research. I just want to make it work.
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:59 PM

I bought a Retro radio and it mounted the same way. My dash was cut so I used the metal bracket from a 69 Cutlass.I used the metal bracket that came with the radio.It sounds great and it came in without the antenna hooked up!
Old March 19th, 2011, 02:31 PM

So got the radio in today, found some replacement ***** on ebay. For whatever reason they did not work, maybe the radio i have is not originally from 70 cutlass oh well with a little persuasion, i made them work anyways.

the kit i found also had the dash speaker bracket i used that under the radio in conjunction with the factory lower brace and it turned out ok i think.

eventually will go with a retro radio but for now this works just have to put this old alpine in glove box for now, maybe tomorrow morning time for some weekend refreshments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0604.jpg (45.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0608.jpg (69.4 KB, 23 views)
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM

It looks right at home in there!