Installing Convertible Windshield Header Vinyl

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2022, 07:28 AM
Rodney

Installing Convertible Windshield Header Vinyl

I need to install the black vinyl that wraps the around the top of the windshield frame on my convertible, but I have a few questions. Haw far does the vinyl wrap around on the glass side of the frame? Does the vinyl run the full width of the windshield frame or should I stop it just short of the A-pillar? What adhesive should I use? I have some 3M weatherstrip glue in the tube and also have some 3M #80 spray adhesive. looking forward to the replies.
Rodney

Is this the correct place to start the vinyl wrap or should I fold it onto the lower pinchweld? It seems like the lower flange should not be covered so the windshield glass can be sealed to the metal frame. What would be the best way to keep water from wicking up behind the vinyl?

Where does the vinyl stop at the A-pillar? Anybody have some pictures of their car?

This is what I have in the garage for glue. Is there something better I should use for this application?
Old October 29th, 2022, 08:10 AM

I installed the vinyl after the glass was installed and I used rubber cement for the glue. I believe spray adhesive would work also but the rubber cement was easier to control and didn’t require as much prep or clean up. I did one side at a time then trimmed the excess after the glue dried. For the A pillars I made sure it was long enough to be covered by the weatherstripping/trim.

Last edited by 4speed455; October 29th, 2022 at 08:22 AM.
Old October 29th, 2022, 06:13 PM
Rodney

Joel:
Thanks for the pics, they are a tremendous help.

Rodney