Installing Carpet

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:29 AM

Installing Carpet

I'm puting new carpet in my 69 442 (4-speed). The old carpet was already out of it when I got the car, so I don't have a template to see how the new carpet goes in. I cut the hole to go around the shiter, but I'm wondering - does the shifter boot mounting bracket get screwed on TOP of the carpet? or does the carpet go on after the boot is mounted? [and tuck up under the shifter boot overhang?].
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:03 AM

I do not have a floor shifter, but common sense would tell me never to compress carpet between any two brackets.
I would think the bracket would go on first, then the carpet gets trimmed around it and the boot installed.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:12 AM

Rob,
I am sorry. I must disagree. The carpet is compressed under all consols as far as I know. See if this pic helps until brighter minds can chime in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shifter boot.jpg (9.4 KB, 111 views)
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM

Guys;
I've attached a photo here of the underside of the shift boot. As you can see the mounting bracket sits inside, and the boot overlaps by about 1/2 inch all the way around. So, I could cut a large enough hole in the carpet to go all the way around the outside of the bracket, and still be hidden by the overlap of the boot.
Just want to be sure I'm doing it the proper way.
Attached Images
Picture.jpg (96.3 KB, 37 views)
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:53 AM

Seeing a picture helps a lot - I do change my above opinion.
I had my old Ford's bracket in mind for some reason, which is much different.
I will let brighter minds take over; mine is about burned out right now...
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
olds..older..oldest

69 442 4 spd. carpet

Originally Posted by ctreutel
Guys;
I've attached a photo here of the underside of the shift boot. As you can see the mounting bracket sits inside, and the boot overlaps by about 1/2 inch all the way around. So, I could cut a large enough hole in the carpet to go all the way around the outside of the bracket, and still be hidden by the overlap of the boot.
I have the same car and just did the carpet in May.Mine has a console,but I installed as in your 2nd last sentence above,as the console covered it all anyway.Measure 3 times and make SMALL cuts first. You really need another's help to keep the carpet lined up eg. at the firewall and along the door ledges,as you decide where to cut for seat bolts etc.Remember,you can recut it smaller,but you can't make it larger if you overtrim!!!Derek
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:46 AM

I know you want the boot sealed up against the floor. I would imagine the carpet is cut to fit under the bracket beneath the fits flap in the boot. I have never seen carpet just layed beneath something like that and not firmly fastened down. I am no expert though.

Moved this to interior section.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by ctreutel
Guys;
Unless you have a console I believe you may be missing the chrome trim which when installed sandwiches the boot between it and the mount we see in the photo.

Customarily the mounting would be installed on top of the carpet, then the boot, and then the chrome trim.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:05 PM

There is a raised sheet metal hump/shroud welded to your floor pan where the shifter comes through. This is what the rubber boot is attached to.

The rubber boot goes directly against this metal shifter hump/shroud...THERE IS NO CARPET SANDWICHED IN THERE (why would you want the edge of the carpet exposed to the elements!!????). This is how the factory did it.

There is no chrome ring on that boot at all...the factory didn't put one on there even with a non-console car. The '70-72 4 speed cars used this same boot but there was an second (upper) boot that was utilized around the chrome hurst shifter handle as well so you wouldn't see the boot you have once the console was installed. Non-console cars just used the "lower" boot like you have in the picture.

DO YOU HAVE A CONSOLE IN THIS CAR??

If no console, then the carpet is tucked in on top of the rubber that has the screws thru and UNDER the overlapping first flap/accordian part of the boot.

If you do have a console then it's still the same way.

Last edited by 70Post; July 2nd, 2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Senior Moment Member

I put mine in with the shifter boot and chrome trim on top of the carpet. I used sheet metal screws and went into the floor with them to hold it down. It looks great. Fits the contour of the floor. I now have a smaller boot that I am going to trial fit to see if I like it better.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:49 AM

Thumbs up Sealed tight

The lower boot fastens directly to the floor with the carpet over the lower edge of the boot...this is a weather seal to keep out road splash and fumes...you could even put sealer on the lip to help the seal...use an awl to locate the screw holes when you fasten the metal collar down..
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
There is a raised sheet metal hump/shroud welded to your floor pan where the shifter comes through. This is what the rubber boot is attached to.

The rubber boot goes directly against this metal shifter hump/shroud...THERE IS NO CARPET SANDWICHED IN THERE (why would you want the edge of the carpet exposed to the elements!!????). This is how the factory did it.

There is no chrome ring on that boot at all...the factory didn't put one on there even with a non-console car. The '70-72 4 speed cars used this same boot but there was an second (upper) boot that was utilized around the chrome hurst shifter handle as well so you wouldn't see the boot you have once the console was installed. Non-console cars just used the "lower" boot like you have in the picture.

DO YOU HAVE A CONSOLE IN THIS CAR??

If no console, then the carpet is tucked in on top of the rubber that has the screws thru and UNDER the overlapping first flap/accordian part of the boot.

If you do have a console then it's still the same way.
This sounds right to me. I do not have a console, the rubber boot is exactly as you describe...no chrome ring.
Thanks for the help!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM

You got it.

For 69-72 a NON-CONSOLE 4 SPEED car would have just had this "lower" rubber boot installed.

On a CONSOLE car the lower boot is still there but there's the additional upper boot that is part of console so you you don't see the lower boot.

On a console car they didn't even tuck the carpet in under the large flap/lip at the base of the boot..it typically was just cut and laying up against the outside of the inner boot.

I also assume the 69 four speed cars have the metal hump/shroud spot welded to the floor pan like the '70+ cars have.
Old July 4th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Smile Have a Camel

'68 four speed cars don't have a piece added and welded to the floor, just a torch cut opening with a flare on the rear left side of the hole!! I think '69 cars are the same
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Good deal.

Still - no difference in how the carpet lays in there. Any rubber edge/lip will be attached straight to the floorpan or hump/shroud metal, not sandwiched in between.

On a 66-67 the non-console rubber boot is similar in that it has the smaller OD first layer that attaches directly to the floor metal and then any floor covering material is tucked in over that first layer and under the second, much larger part of the rubber boot. The 66/7 non-console rubber boot does use a metal ring to help hold the first layer against the floor pan.

NOTE: In Fusick's catalog for NON-CONSOLE MANUAL FLOOR SHIFT CARS:

>They show the correct repro rubber boot for 66-69 cars as being the same piece.

>They show the correct repro rubber boot for '70-72 cars also. It's a different shaped part from the 66-69 boots.

CREUTEL--You apparently have the earlier, 66-69 boot and that boot would have used the metal reinforcing ring I mention above. Fusick sells this as a seperate piece if yours is missing and you need one ($29.50). Trimming and tucking the carpet between those two flaps should probably be done LAST in the carpet install process. If you can stand it, it probably wouldn't even hurt to leave some excess around the carpet edge and let the carpet "settle in" a little with time and use....then do your final trimming. What I'm getting at is if you cut it too close initially, if the carpet "settles in" some later on you may have an exposed carpet edge peeking out from under the flaps.

Here's a couple better pics of this 66-69 NON-CONSOLE with the factory metal reinforcing ring:
Attached Images
IMG_1694.JPG (35.3 KB, 17 views)
IMG_1695.JPG (39.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by 70Post; July 4th, 2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks guys.
Yeah I have the metal ring. Bought a new boot from OPG (75 bucks!...ouch).
I will take your advice on letting the carpet settle in. I just installed the carpet this morning. It had 5-6 inches of excess all around, so it was a little tricky deteriming where and how much to cut off. It looks pretty good, but I have a little baggyness around the hump...but like you said that will settle in a bit I assume.