Headliner Alternative

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2019, 09:15 AM

Headliner Alternative

Just wondering if there is a headliner alternative. I’ve been quoted around 400-500 CAD to install a new headliner and that’s not including the headliner itself. Someone I know had mentioned there be a non cloth one piece headliner that would just snap or screw into place. Any help would be appreciated.
Old September 1st, 2019, 10:57 AM
Administrator

**** carpeting glued to the roof comes to mind... I would get a few quotes on the costs of a new headliner. Talk to some other old car people in your area for references.
Old September 1st, 2019, 11:41 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I used a staple gun to re-secure the original saggy headliner in my '81 LeMans wagon. Got a cool quilted, button-tuft effect. Not exactly factory, though.
Old September 1st, 2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by James71Cutlass
Just wondering if there is a headliner alternative. I’ve been quoted around 400-500 CAD to install a new headliner and that’s not including the headliner itself. Someone I know had mentioned there be a non cloth one piece headliner that would just snap or screw into place. Any help would be appreciated.
You would have to remove the existing headliner panel to put one of those in. If you did that it's really easy to replace the headliner fabric. The fabric is cheap, it's only about $6.50 a lineal foot. Then all you would need is some spray adhesive and some straight edge razor blades. The overall cost would be under $100.00. https://www.stockinteriors.com/headl...30&ModelId=654

You just lay the oversize headliner fabric on the board and fold it in half. Then spray the glue on it and the board, let it dry and then roll the material over it and stick it. Then fold the other half over and do it again. Once glued on trim off the excess fabric with a razor blade and it's ready to install. There are many videos online.
Old September 1st, 2019, 12:12 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 10:35 PM
Ben

If you can find a one piece foam headliner for your 71 it will cost significantly more than an original bow style as they are 100% custom.

You can buy a brand new bow style headliner from Summit racing (PUI brand) for about $70. Then just take yours out and install it yourself.
There are some excellent write ups online for doing this. There is one over on Team Chevelle in the interiors forum set as a sticky. thats how i learned to do them.

its not rocket science by any means, just take your time- though you may find about halfway through that $400 for the install sounds pretty good.

Takes me around 8-10 hours start to finish including stripping and redoing the sail panels. That includes removing & reinstalling the seats and stuff.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
If you can find a one piece foam headliner for your 71 it will cost significantly more than an original bow style as they are 100% custom.

You can buy a brand new bow style headliner from Summit racing (PUI brand) for about $70. Then just take yours out and install it yourself.
There are some excellent write ups online for doing this. There is one over on Team Chevelle in the interiors forum set as a sticky. thats how i learned to do them.

its not rocket science by any means, just take your time- though you may find about halfway through that $400 for the install sounds pretty good.

Takes me around 8-10 hours start to finish including stripping and redoing the sail panels. That includes removing & reinstalling the seats and stuff.

Ok thanks. I'll look into doing it myself. I like doing my own projects but not too sure I have the patience for something like this lol.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 09:00 AM
Ben

Here is the sticky thread over on team chevelle...
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-...-write-up.html

The pics of the original write up were lost way back in the photobucket implosion a few years ago, however they are preserved in the PDF site magazine available here, go to page 5:
http://www.chevypunch.com/issues/july2007.pdf

Reading this was how I learned to do it. I've done about 7 of them, I'm not an expert but not afraid of them either.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Here is the sticky thread over on team chevelle...
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-...-write-up.html

The pics of the original write up were lost way back in the photobucket implosion a few years ago, however they are preserved in the PDF site magazine available here, go to page 5:
http://www.chevypunch.com/issues/july2007.pdf

Reading this was how I learned to do it. I've done about 7 of them, I'm not an expert but not afraid of them either.

Great. Thanks for the help.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 09:57 AM

Is this product any good? It's a one piece. Would I put a headliner to match my interior over top of this?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...ss?prefilter=1