Foam for seat back springs?

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2016, 04:24 PM

Foam for seat back springs?

Based on the pictures and instructions on Legendary on YouTube I found some things in my seats a little different. I found a paper type pad between the top section springs and the seat back. You can see the white new pad of foam in the picture that I substituted in place. Is the one inch thick foam too much? Or not enough? It's the same foam I bought for the lower rear kick panel facing the back seat.

I also found two chunks of high density foam in the lumbar area. These were not pictured or included in the other rebuilds I found online. Are they supposed to be there? I'm thinking I can use some Dollarstore foam car wash sponges. They seem the same size. We're these original? Looking at the cover in my other seat it almost appears they were
Old September 12th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Ben

I would be more concerned with the broken springs at the bottom of your spring assembly.

The foam in the "lumbar area" is there because the rods that are supposed to space the assembly from the frame are likely broken or missing. Jamming foam in there is one of the usual ways they have been "fixed" in the past.

The foam in the upper area is unnecessary and will likely make installing the covers harder. If you found foam in when you tore apart, it may be there to "help" more broken springs? (i can't see in your pic)

There should be springs in that area that attach to the frame, and to the spring assembly. They provide the tension and the support.

The factory put a thin (1/8") sheet of jute in between them to help prevent squeaking.

You need to replace those broken bottom springs or you will find them going through your new buns and covers in no time.
Old September 12th, 2016, 11:05 AM

I replaced the side bottom spring and a front bottom spring in the bottom of seat.

I also put some new clamps on the bottom of the upper section springs.

I don't see any side support springs in lumbar area though or where they would attach. I also looked for some closeup pictures online of other replacement seat cores and don't see anything in lumbar area. At least not on the generic Chevelle sites
Old September 12th, 2016, 06:27 PM

Ok I fixed the side springs and the bottom springs. I will leave the foam out because with the springs there there is support now.