Custom made 6.5" component speaker kick panels (3D Printed)

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2020, 12:16 PM

Custom made 6.5" component speaker kick panels (3D Printed)

I am in the process of restoring my interior. Turning out great so far. I wanted to get some 6.5" component speakers in the kick panels. They make these ready to go for $100 but they do not come with tweeter mounts and I wanted to try to save as much money as I could. I will get pictures inside the car once it gets installed in the car with the speaker and grill.

I printed a couple of the 6.5" speaker pods (40 hours total to print). I could get the print to smooth out to look more like a plastic mold by putting it in a container with acetone vapor but I really do not care. It is not really noticeable once tucked under the dash.

Located center of where the speaker lined up and drilled some mounting holes. There is a thin 4 inch plate from factory that is directly behind the speaker. I had to cut it out with my cut off wheel to allow the back of the speaker to clear. I cut a 4x4 square from the center. I do not think it will affect structural integrity at all. I could of made the pods thicker but I do not think it would of cleared the ebrake.

The kick panels are not complete flat so there was some gaps under the base of the speaker pod. I could of probably designed a pod to fit perfectly but with a 20 hour print time, I did not want to bother doing test prints. I ended up getting a roll sealing foam and wedged it between the kick panel and the pod to create a seal.

Mounted the tweeter pods next and got them prepped for paint.

Couple coats of SEM Color Coat and I think they turned out great! A little bit of time and under $10 invested.

Last edited by yeahbuddy; December 9th, 2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old December 9th, 2020, 12:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Nice work. Did you verify that the driver side clears the e-brake pedal? The aftermarket ones can be a problem there.
Old December 9th, 2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Nice work. Did you verify that the driver side clears the e-brake pedal? The aftermarket ones can be a problem there.
Thanks! I did check that first before I even moved on with it. At the angle its mounted the speaker aims at the driver and also clear the ebrake by an inch or so
Old December 9th, 2020, 02:56 PM
72 Olds CS

pretty sweet nice work