Console Box?

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2010, 09:03 PM

Console Box?

Any idea where I can get the top half of the console box for a 72 cutlass? The plastic tab (on the upper half of the box) that the hinge/lid mounts to broke on mine and I can't track one down. Year one has a 2-piece box (part # BX72) but no picture to make a good I.D. Thanks...Olds Man.
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM

The part of the console that the hinge attaches to is the whole top part of the console. The part that looks like the top of the box is just a metal piece that wraps around it. Make sure to hang on the piece that broke(you can fix it w/out the piece it will look better if you save it) and you can fix it, either by plastic welding it(I have had good luck doing this) or bolting it or riveting it from the back side after you remove that metal piece. If you look inside you will see small plastic rivets you need to remove these then the metal piece will come off.

If it will help I can get a couple of pics of what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Eric Anderson; March 7th, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:31 PM

Forget the Year One part also...what they are selling is the two piece console box liner that slips down into that area. You need to repair yours as the previous poster mentioned or find a good used replacement console (the main console parts are not repro'd).

Fix yours....and save yourself a lot of $$$.
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:54 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

I had that plastic tab snap off of mine too and I had a bitch of a time trying to fix it. I tried twice to plastic weld it, but it would just snap apart again with any sort of force applied to it, then I tried Gorilla glue, and a special plastic epoxy, both no go. The last thing I tried, and so far so good, is plain old extra strength crazy glue. Even though it is holding, I still have to be very gentle with it. If you find way to fix it that works for you, let me know.