Which carpet style??

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:09 PM

Question Which carpet style??

I am going to buy molded carpet for my car. Looking for your opinion on which style to get:

1. Nylon Loop
2. 80/20 Raylon Loop
3. Cutpile

Thanks

d1

Last edited by defiant1; March 2nd, 2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:08 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don't know the difference between the nylon and the 80/20, but I, personally, would avoid the cut pile and stay with the loop.

The loop was standard on these cars, cut pile was used in cars a decade or more later.

I think the cut pile looks pimpy in these, though I'm sure others will think it looks luxurious.

- Eric
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The proper one for your car is the 80/20

Cut pile looks more 'silky'. I guess it just depends what kind of look you are going for. As far as cleaning goes, the cut pile is way easier to vacuum and steam clean. The loop carpet tends to trap dirt and small 'things' in the loops. I'd still go with the 80/20. My car has the original carpets and they are holding up pretty good. I dyed them black because they were really faded. Came back like new! Is that an option for you?
Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
The proper one for your car is the 80/20

Cut pile looks more 'silky'. I guess it just depends what kind of look you are going for. As far as cleaning goes, the cut pile is way easier to vacuum and steam clean. The loop carpet tends to trap dirt and small 'things' in the loops. I'd still go with the 80/20. My car has the original carpets and they are holding up pretty good. I dyed them black because they were really faded. Came back like new! Is that an option for you?

Maybe I need to do more research. Do the aftermarket carpets cover the entire floor (which is what I am looking for) or are they like the factory one I have that only covers a portion of it? Basically underneath the seat I can feel the metal of the floor and the heat coming off of it.

I will lean toward the 80/20, the price is the same regardless of the 3 I pick from. Now there is even more expensive carpet styles but I figured the factory one lasted 40 plus years I could stay with the same type.

d1
Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:48 AM
Where were you in '72?

I just picked up an 80/20 two piece carpet from Legendary $148, very high quality, included dimmer grommet and heel pad...edges were piped and there is 36oz. jute attached to the bottom. They make them bigger for fitting.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by boondocker
I just picked up an 80/20 two piece carpet from Legendary $148, very high quality, included dimmer grommet and heel pad...edges were piped and there is 36oz. jute attached to the bottom. They make them bigger for fitting.

Thanks for the info, I will check out what they have. I went to ACCmats and they want $208 and TrimParts want $180. So, for the price point aspect Legendary may be the place I go with.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:27 AM
Where were you in '72?

You may end up paying a few buck more, I managed to get in on the new years pricing deals...but I still think it's a great deal comparatively speaking.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by defiant1
Maybe I need to do more research. Do the aftermarket carpets cover the entire floor (which is what I am looking for) or are they like the factory one I have that only covers a portion of it? Basically underneath the seat I can feel the metal of the floor and the heat coming off of it.

I will lean toward the 80/20, the price is the same regardless of the 3 I pick from. Now there is even more expensive carpet styles but I figured the factory one lasted 40 plus years I could stay with the same type.

d1
Aftermarkets are bigger as Boondocker says. I know Rob Young replaced his 80/20 with aftermarket. They do overlap, unlike the factory ones. FWIW, I just went down and checked my car. It has OEM carpeting and there is a 'gap' of about 6 inches between the front and rear carpets where there's nothing but metal. This is one of the pics from his thread showing how the carpet ended up. His thread is called "Interior Makeover" https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...akeover-3.html

So here's a question for all. If the car came with buckets and a console, wouldn't the carpet have to be longer (overlap) so there wouldn't be any gap showing by the console?
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:48 AM

The original carpet in my 72 (buckets, floor shift auto) overlapped like the aftermarket pieces.