Carpet Dye

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2012, 08:11 AM

Carpet Dye

I have a 72 Cutlass with good carpeting, but it's a little faded in spots.
The front section is very good, but the back section is faded just over the drive shaft hump and a little around the outside of the carpet.
Has enyone tried to Dye the bad areas of there carpet with any success.
Thanks Barb.
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:20 PM
72 Olds CS

Barb

I have used the SEM color change dye on many plastic parts w great success (seats and consoles). They also have a fabric/rug dye as do dupli color and probably others too.

I would think you would need to do the whole rug to get an even uniform color, that said I believe based on my above results that it would look good if done correctly
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:47 PM

Smile

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention the carpet color is black, So that helps with the matching problem.
I found someone on line that used Dupi color and it came out pretty good.
So I'm going to Advance Auto or Auto Zone, They both have a vinyl / Fabric
conditioner. I'll let you know how it comes out. Barb.
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Any vinyl dye will work with black, just take your time and spray evenly.
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM

Agreed any black Dye will do. Mist it on evenly and when it's dry hit it with a mild to hard brush to soften the area back up. Sometimes the dye makes the spot a little stiff. I worked inventory at a dealership for six years and have done all sorts of interior repairs. Any spray paint will also do just remember to mist it on and soften it up when you're done.
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:01 PM

Wink

Thanks for all the good advice. I wonder if hair dye would even work
(on Black). Thanks again! Just amazed at all the great help we all get
on this Forum, Barb.
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rmoths
I wonder if hair dye would even work
Are you serious? Based on what I know about it you have to rinse it out to get rid of the coloring agent and that would be umm, really a lot more work than its worth IMO.

I used Duplicolor's fabric and vinyl dye - black - for exactly the same reason as what you asked about. My carpet was faded. Only needed 1 can to do the whole carpet and it turned out crisp! Looks incredible. This stuff can even be used on seats or black plastic with super results. Only thing is it smells like a paint booth for a long time after it's dry. The more you air it out though, the faster the smell dissipates.

Also used it when I restored my air dam; again with fantastic results https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post442473

This is the stuff:
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:37 PM

I'm sorry that was not to smart on my part with the hair dye. I will get the Duplic color , That's the product that I saw and got good reviews on.
Thanks again for you're time and all the good advice. Barb.
Old December 16th, 2012, 09:02 AM

Wink

Well I bought a can of Dupic color, but the can (cap) shows a bright finish and one that shows a sort of flat or satin finish. Well I bought the flat or satin finish and it work very well, but I pulled front carpeting out now and It also could use some touch up. I used up this can I have and will buy more, but now I'm wondering if I could or should use the bright finish. The rear did turn out good, but it is a little on the dull side. Just interested if anyone has used both and which one looks better. Thanks Barb.
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by rmoths
I pulled front carpeting out now and It also could use some touch up.
You are venturing down the "might as well" path and a new carpet kit is only around $150....
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:57 PM

Yes I know what you are saying. The carpet is really in good shape, just some fading. It's surprising how good it came out. It's just ashame to throw it out, but I'm having Some friends over to give me a hand and they will probably tell me the same thing you said. So now I'm not sure .
Thanks Barb.
Old December 17th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

NO! DON'T throw out the carpeting and replace it just for the sake of doing that. I would only replace a carpet if it needed it. Also, a lot of aftermarket carpets do not have the headlight switch grommet or hole cut into them. You'd have to transfer that from one to the other.

My 72 has its original carpet. Sure there's some wear on it; the car was in service as a dd for close to 14 years. Expect some fraying on the nylon loops. What you can do to get rid of that though is lightly go over the areas with loose strands with a shaver (like trac 2 or gillette etc). Anything that will shave hair will do the job. Sure it's time consuming, but the results look great!

I know 150.00 sounds like a MAW thing for carpet. Then factor in shipping and tax and you're up to an easy 200.00 For a couple cans of vinyl dye (20.00) you're way ahead of that game.

re: cap colors on the vinyl dye. I don't think it makes any difference. Black on Black fabric shouldn't be noticeable. What you can do if you're concerned about the potential for off colors is buy one of each. Spray a test swatch with each one and compare results. Choose the one you like and return the other to the store. Most stores will take back products that don't meet customer satisfaction nowadays. Keep us posted.
Old December 17th, 2012, 05:11 PM

Wink

Thanks! I'm amazed and thankful for all the input and overall help from this forum. Thanks Barb.