Bucket seats column shift?

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2017, 11:47 AM
1969 Cutlass Convertible

Bucket seats column shift?

I recently bought a 69 cutlass convertible it has factory a/c. Electric top and windows and power brakes. My question is how many of you have or have seen one with bucket seats and a column shift. Just seems a bit odd to go for everything else and not the floor shifter
Old July 25th, 2017, 12:05 PM

I have a Rallye 350 equipped the same way & I have seen several G.M. A bodies that came that way from the factory. Not common but not super rare either. I don't like that there is no where to rest your right arm?!?!
Old July 25th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by B Mill
I recently bought a 69 cutlass convertible it has factory a/c. Electric top and windows and power brakes. My question is how many of you have or have seen one with bucket seats and a column shift. Just seems a bit odd to go for everything else and not the floor shifter
Base equipment on a 1969 Cutlass convertible was bucket seats and a column-shifted three speed manual trans. If you ordered the automatic, it also came as a column shifter. If you wanted the console and floor shifter, you needed to order RPO D55 at additional cost.

This page is from the 1969 SPECS booklet. Note the STANDARD EQUIPMENT description in the LH column, particularly transmission and seats for the convertible.

Old July 25th, 2017, 02:22 PM

The automatic 1970 442 I bought back in the late 70's had bucket seats and column shifter. It was ordered new by the seller with that standard combination and almost every other option. When I asked why him why he did not order the console, he said that when he and his wife were at the dealership looking at a new 442 in the showroom, his two young children got into the back seat by going over the console. At that moment he knew the console door would had been broken in a week, so he ordered his sans a console.

I ended up buying one of those aftermarket plastic floor storage trays with the built in cup holders to fill the void, which actually came in handy when we got take out from Gino's, Roy Roger's, or Jack In The Box. Cup holders and reclining seats were nice additions to the later models.
Old July 25th, 2017, 03:26 PM

buckets & column shift

bucket seats & column shift was more common on the 1964-1967 cars based on my personal ownership & observations.

I had a 65 Cutlass & a 64 Cutlass so equipped & have seen many others. Passed on a Rallye 350 because it was so equipped.
Old July 25th, 2017, 04:02 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

I rather like the combo....

in my case though, I converted my '72 from original bench to factory buckets/console but left it as a column shift (maybe for now, maybe forever, haven't decided as yet).

Had a solid top console plate reproduced to finish the factory look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
column console.jpg (1.71 MB, 36 views)

Last edited by 70sgeek; July 25th, 2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old July 25th, 2017, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 70sgeek

in my case though, I converted my '72 from original bench to factory buckets/console but left it as a column shift (maybe for now, maybe forever, haven't decided as yet).

I had a '72 442 that had been converted from a 4-speed to an automatic when new by the dealership. The dealership left the four speed console, added the automatic shifter, and put a metal plate where the 4-speed shifter was. Made a nice tray to hold items.

It would be sharp if cup holders could be discreetly incorporated into your console for the convenience of holding drinks during those long cruises.
Old July 25th, 2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
bucket seats & column shift was more common on the 1964-1967 cars based on my personal ownership & observations.

I had a 65 Cutlass & a 64 Cutlass so equipped & have seen many others. Passed on a Rallye 350 because it was so equipped.
Now that you mention it, there are a lot of 64-67 A-bodies with bucket seats and a column shifter. My friend had two 65's with that combination.
Old July 25th, 2017, 06:15 PM
1969 Cutlass Convertible

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I have a Rallye 350 equipped the same way & I have seen several G.M. A bodies that came that way from the factory. Not common but not super rare either. I don't like that there is no where to rest your right arm?!?!
Old July 25th, 2017, 06:16 PM
1969 Cutlass Convertible

Yea I kinda like to lean a little bit. That console would be nice
Old July 25th, 2017, 06:19 PM
1969 Cutlass Convertible

Originally Posted by 70sgeek

Old July 25th, 2017, 06:20 PM
1969 Cutlass Convertible

That's nice. �� May try something like that