Column Shift Swap Out for Floor Shift Column

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2016, 01:26 PM

Column Shift Swap Out for Floor Shift Column

Can anybody tell me if there any issues with swapping a floor shift, non-tilt steering column in place of an on the column shift steering column. Are the electrical connectors the same?

Car is 70 Cutlass Convertible. Will be installing an in console 4 speed.

I do not think I will be installing a neutral safety switch. Would like reverse back up lights. I keep hearing about a rod of some kind involved in the swap of auto to manual trans???

Thanks

Last edited by David DeCan; January 22nd, 2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Floor shift column came of an A body same vitage
Old January 22nd, 2016, 01:28 PM

Floor shift column is out of an A body same vintage.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by David DeCan
Can anybody tell me if there any issues with swapping a floor shift, non-tilt steering column in place of an on the column shift steering column. Are the electrical connectors the same?

Car is 70 Cutlass Convertible. Will be installing an in console 4 speed.

I do not think I will be installing a neutral safety switch. Would like reverse back up lights. I keep hearing about a rod of some kind involved in the swap of auto to manual trans???

Thanks
Floor and column shift columns of the same vintage and type swap with no issues. There are connector differences between tilt and non-tilt, but so long as both are the same type, this is easy. There is no such thing as a Neutral Safety Switch on a manual trans. There IS a clutch safety switch, however. The CSS goes on the clutch pedal and uses the same two purple wires as the NSS. You do want the backup light switch, however. The backdrive linkage from the trans to the column controls this, as well as locking the shift linkage with the key.

Of course, if you leave the backdrive linkage off, the collar on the column will eventually rotate out of position and you'll be asking why you can't remove the key...