bucket seat piping ?

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:40 AM

Location: from Wisc, then Texas, then Kansas, now back to Texas,
bucket seat piping ?

there's a different chrome piping for ''original '' bucket seat vs the aftermarket, or replacement seats. I'm referrring the seat backs and the side plastic sections.. I need the chrome piping for the ''original '' seat backs, it's larger diameter than the replacement ones.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:42 AM

And it stays on.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:44 AM
delete

To the best of my knowledge I have original plastic pieces and the chrome piping sold by Legendary worked fine on mine. The piping is flexible so Ican't imagine any difference between reproduction & original would cause a problem.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:06 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

As far as I know no body reproduces the correct chrome plastic "piping". At least its not correct for anything Oldsmobile from 64-72. You didnt specify a year or model so I'll assume this is the span you're inquiring about?
Why a vendor would go through the trouble of reproducing something thats not a match is beyond me? Probably because its made for another application...Chevy or Vettes.
However the new stuff does fit and function well.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:14 AM

Ames Pontiac reproduces "exact fit" bucket seat piping for our bucket seats. The stuff Legendary sells is not even close to original.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:20 AM

all I know is, I've gotten sets from 2 different suppliers, ( OPGI and Parts Place) and both are too small to stay in place !!!
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM

all I know is, I've gotten sets from 2 different suppliers, ( OPGI and Parts Place) and both are too small to stay in place !!! I think Year One is the same !...."69 Cutlass

Last edited by knighthawk; January 3rd, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
Ames Pontiac reproduces "exact fit" bucket seat piping for our bucket seats. The stuff Legendary sells is not even close to original.

What Lance said!!! Ames has the exact repro. It comes in preformed pieces but with extra length so you have to trim it to the correct lengths. Approx $85 + shipping (that's all the pieces for both buckets) so it's not cheap BUT it's the right stuff. No glue, etc required.

Last edited by 70Post; January 3rd, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:22 AM
delete

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
The stuff Legendary sells is not even close to original.
It may not look original but it works fine. I've had it on for a few years & I've never had a problem with it not staying put.
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:09 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I purchased piping from year one about 5 years ago. Its larger than the original. It fits and functions well. It comes with adheasive in the inside diameter and sticks well.
Id be interested to see the AMES product.
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:16 AM

Smile

Here's a pic of a '70 seat with the Ames piping..I compared the original to the Ames product-it was an exact match. BTW, those are Legendary seat covers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00869.JPG (143.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00870.JPG (136.8 KB, 80 views)
Old January 4th, 2012, 09:24 AM

you got to remember that the bucket seat backs ( the plastic panel at the rear and the lower side covers ) for the original and the replacement seats, have differnt sized beads for holding the chrome strips
Old January 4th, 2012, 09:56 AM

I went with the generic kit from OPGI. No adhesive, but it's been on for a year now.
The one issue I did have were the "bullet" ends. I had to taper the piping and expand out the bullets in order to get them to fit well.
DSCN0278.jpg
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Ben

Just installed the 66/67 ames piping on a customers seat backs. Excellent stuff. Way better than the cheap crap- especially for the metal 66/67 back & sides. As someone else said, side by side, its an exact match of the original.

metal was glass bead blasted & painted with SEM Trim Black-a dead on match for the original paint.
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:16 PM

looks good ! thanks
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:54 PM

Excellent pics and info Ben....thanks!
Old January 16th, 2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by knighthawk
you got to remember that the bucket seat backs ( the plastic panel at the rear and the lower side covers ) for the original and the replacement seats, have differnt sized beads for holding the chrome strips

When you said "replacement seats" above are you referring to the reproduction plastic seatbacks and lower skirts??

If so, you are correct.....the new Ames correct moldings will not snap on and stay in place on the repro seatback/seatbase plastics (like they do on factory seatbacks/bases). The profile of the bead or ridge along the edges of the plastic seatbacks/bases that the chrome piping snaps onto is different on the repro panels and the original panels.
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by 70Post
When you said "replacement seats" above are you referring to the reproduction plastic seatbacks and lower skirts??

If so, you are correct.....the new Ames correct moldings will not snap on and stay in place on the repro seatback/seatbase plastics (like they do on factory seatbacks/bases). The profile of the bead or ridge along the edges of the plastic seatbacks/bases that the chrome piping snaps onto is different on the repro panels and the original panels.
Ames also sells a "Correct" 68-72 chrome strip, that would work fine on the repop plastic 66/67 panels.

Their chrome is not the cheap door edge trim that everywhere else sells.

There is a guy on ebay selling some seat piping that is supposed to be wider than the cheap stuff we see everywhere- its $45 vs the $85 ames gets for their stuff. I have yet to try his, but I may do that on the next set i do with plastic backs.

I hate the cheap stuff. Only way to get it to stay on reliably is to epoxy it on.
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:00 PM

Yes - The "correct" stuff is what I was referring to in my posts re:Ames above....it's a dead-on match to the original GM "chrome" piping.