Best interior cleaner for cloth

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2008, 07:51 PM

Best interior cleaner for cloth

I got the door arm rests looking brand new but I cannot seems to get the seats looking even half way decent.

I have the cloth (veluor) interior and it's "saddle" (tan, ugh I hate light colored interiors).

What is the best stuff to use? The car is 23 years old. Is this a lost cause? I bought Armor All stuff with the Oxy Clean in it and that over-zealuos guy on TV can stuff it

What can I use?
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:54 AM

IT is a bummer that the Oxy Clean stuff didn't work. My wife uses that for the carpet. We buy it at Wal Mart. It comes in a blue spray bottle that says "Oxy Clean" on it. There is also the "high traffic" area foam that comes in a blue spray can for tough to get out spots.
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM

Never tried the reg Oxy Clean, just the new Armor all with oxy Clean stuff
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:04 AM
Registered

I use a Bissel Little Green Machine with the upholstery cleaner and it works great for me, got it for the dog "accidents" but I use it all the time on the cars, even the headliners. The machine sprays the warm water detergent solution and vacuums it up so it won't soak the material or backing too much and you can see how much dirt is in the dirty water receptacle. It may take a few or more attempts to get all the stuff out if it isn't a set stain.

Allan
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM

I've used simple green on my old 95 Lumina with light grey cloth interior. It worked great to remove various baby goo/stains. You will live with the simple green smell for a couple days. Spray on, wipe in/off.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Simple Green is great stuff. Living with the smell in your car isn't the most hateful thing if it gets the interior clean.
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Simple Green won't discolor?
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Folex.
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:37 PM

You know, that is a good question Redog. I would try the Simple Green in a hidden spot before spraying it all over the interior. Maybe you could try it out on the floor mat under the seat. Or on the floor under the floor mats. It's worth a try.
Old August 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM

You think a Rental rug cleaner will work?

It has that Oxy Clean crap in it.

We rented one today for the carpets and rented the attacments, but it's pouring outside now and it will tomorrow too
Old August 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Registered

I would try it in an inconspicuous area first as usual. It should do something, you have to suck that dirt out or it just soaks back in. I use a Little Green Machine which is basically the same thing. The thing is that you can see the dirty water going in the tank on a cleaner so at least you know that you're doing something.

Allan
Old August 10th, 2008, 06:28 PM

If you can get a hand set with the carpet cleaner you will be fine. What is staining the upholstery? Ground in dirt will take multiple passes. When I worked in the body shop, back in 98 we had a new flat bed with pale Grey guts. Every week I had to clean the upholstery using a shop vac and mineral spirits. If the dirt won't give, you can get a spray bottle from a local ace hardware and a jug of mineral spirits. The goal is to set the bottle to stream and hold the vac hose right where you are spraying. This is very time consuming and labor intensive as you are working inch by inch. The results are worth it though. Also I tend to use ammonia for most of my cleaning chores. It stinks like hell, but you can cut it with water for light jobs or leave it at full concentration for the tough ones, and when you are done, the ammonia has killed all oder causing germs. It does a number on your paws in full concentration though, so get some gloves
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:13 AM

I think one of those rental rug cleaners should do the trick. They seem to work pretty well.