Attack of the GIANT STAPLES....a fuzzy story

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:58 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Attack of the GIANT STAPLES....a fuzzy story

A lot of soft trim pieces (headliner tack strips, window sweeper ‘fuzzies’, etc.) seem to use giant (ok...large anyway) staples to attach them. Most of them are somewhat “blind” holes – meaning there is no real access behind them – staples by design need something on the back to curl them over – does anyone know how these are installed? Fusick’s catalog says that staples are available at your local hardware store, but even if that’s so, how do you put them in? I can’t think of a stapler that could ‘staple’ through the top edge of the door to hold on the ‘fuzzies’ – yet that’s how they are all attached from the factory. I was contemplating “Pop” riveting them, but…

Any experience? Suggestions??

Thanks
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:17 AM

I would think pop rivets would work if the head was flat enough to allow the glass to pass without touching. Staples seem to be such a hokey way to attach belt liner and fuzzes but they have been doing it that way for years. Let us know how it works out if you go that rout....Tedd
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:20 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I would think pop rivets would work if the head was flat enough to allow the glass to pass without touching. Staples seem to be such a hokey way to attach belt liner and fuzzes but they have been doing it that way for years. Let us know how it works out if you go that rout....Tedd
Tedd - Do you remember how yours were attached - assuming you replaced them when you did your resto.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:27 AM

Just drill the holes as needed and bend the ends manually. I did this with my fuzzy strips and it worked fine Just took time)...
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:30 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Just drill the holes as needed and bend the ends manually. I did this with my fuzzy strips and it worked fine.
Thanks Rob - this is what I was thinking of doing - will absolutely work in the doors - the headliner, however, the holes are 'blind' and there's no way to get there - but obviously the factory did it - and I can't imagine they installed the tack strips before the roof sheet metal...leads me to think there is some sort of special 'one-side-access' stapler out there...
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:24 AM

I've used an air 1/4" crown stapler to punch through metal. Worked great on my window felts. But I've never seen one that could curl the staplers without something behind it.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:32 PM

Gorden,

When I had my car in the body shop being prepped for paint my body guy did the belt liner(he had a staple gun) and Wakefield glass did my fuzzy's while replacing the side glass, I'm still a virgin on that endever....Tedd
Old February 19th, 2012, 07:08 AM

I have looked at about 6 different hardware stores and havent found the staples yet.I am going to use tappered phillips screws for the tack strips though and just try to counter sink them a bit and drill into the old holes,I was thinking of use ing mig wire for the window fuzzys just thread it through the old holes the fuzzys have soft spots that should pretty much line up with the old holes just start one end staple befor you start bending stuff so the holes will line up,at least the outer ones had soft spots.....
Old February 19th, 2012, 07:39 AM

My window felt kit came with new staples. They were just loose in a little bag. Of course this varies among mfgrs...
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:52 AM

I purchased new window felts for the 54 from Fusick. They came with OEM style clips and staples. The staples kind of threw me as the old felts didn't have any staples in them. They only used the clips and a tiny screw in each end. It appears the old ones were the originals.

I have no idea how you could use the staples on the 54. They must've had some special staple gun back in the day.

Last edited by Rocket331; May 20th, 2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:57 PM

don't those staples get bent outward to cover more surface area instead of of like how a regular staple would grab paper?
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:12 AM

Mine were all bent in.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:12 PM

Ditto, my sweeps came with about a dozen more staples than are required(8). I used channel locks to bend them into place.(inward) The only pain was that the new sweeps holes did not line up perfectly with the panel rail holes, so I had to drill a few holes in the rail. It's probably a little simpler than using rivets, and less visible. Chumley