86 cutlass not roomy enough for me

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM

86 cutlass not roomy enough for me

I have tried to search the forums, so dont flame me if I missed it (maybe im not using the right search string). anyway, I need to get the seat in my 86 to go a little further back. neither me or my mechanic could believe that its as far back as it goes but unless there is some trickery thats it. Ive been driving it allright but i can hold the wheel steady using nothing but my beer gut. So, my question is, is there possibly something in the tracks I need to take out or am i going to have to tear the seat out and figure out a custom solution? has anyone ever had this problem? I have a good 5" between the back of the base of the front seat and the leading edge of the rear seat with the seat all the way back.
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:19 AM

Well, it sounds as if you DO have the seat all the way back...
On the plus side you can let your gut do the steering while leaving your hands free! Or you can shorten your legs , or customize the seat.
I think the latter will be the easiest.
It may involve drilling new holes in the floor and welding on brackets to set the seat 2" further back. Others have done this successfully. Just make sure the weld-on brackets are at least as strong as the original mounts to ensure continued safety...
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Registered

Just take out the front seat and sit in the back seat to drive.
They make, (or you can make), steel plates to move the seat back a couple of inches. You bolt them to the seat mounts on the floor then bolt the seats to them. I made some for my Vista, the adjuster **** ends up right behind the seat belt mount when it's all the way back, otherwise they work fine, only safe for a couple of inches at the most. Putting in a tilt column freed up more room to drive than anything for me. I can fit in there with the seat in the old farthest back position with the wheel tilted up above my belly, I can steer with my knee like your supposed to now.

Here's a set that are on evibay, 34 bucks for four of them, but they are powdercoated.
They are quite intricate, I spent countless days and sleepless nights studying complex blueprints and months doing thousands of metallurgical tests to copy them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-78...#ht_2500wt_942
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:32 AM

so, quarter inch plate steel and some holes? I might have a guy for that.