72 buckets into a 68

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2012, 04:18 AM

72 buckets into a 68

I found these for a reasonable price. As I understand it, they will bolt right in....I have a couple questions I am hoping someone can answer-
1. Are the 72's Physically the same all around as the 68? ie: if I buy new covers for a 68 will they fit correctly? ( I realize the fold down buttons are in a diff spot and that these have head rests))
2. They are what you see, brown, my interior is black. Just how good and how easy is it, to dye them black( the bottom and the back plastic parts? Anyone have any pictures of "painted" seat backs and bottoms?
3. In general, how much would it cost to take the seats in and have them install the new covers and cover the head rests?
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
501.jpg (51.6 KB, 20 views)
Old August 29th, 2012, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by boese1978
I found these for a reasonable price. As I understand it, they will bolt right in....I have a couple questions I am hoping someone can answer-
1. Are the 72's Physically the same all around as the 68? ie: if I buy new covers for a 68 will they fit correctly? ( I realize the fold down buttons are in a diff spot and that these have head rests))
2. They are what you see, brown, my interior is black. Just how good and how easy is it, to dye them black( the bottom and the back plastic parts? Anyone have any pictures of "painted" seat backs and bottoms?
3. In general, how much would it cost to take the seats in and have them install the new covers and cover the head rests?
Thanks!
The covers will fit correctly. The only difference is that most 68's didn't have headrests and if they did the locks are different. The only other difference is the 69-72 seat locks are in the center of the back of the seat instead of the side like 68.

I have 68 covers on 69 seats in my car.

SEM makes a very good paint for vinyl. The color is called Landau Black. I painted a white convertible boot black and you can't tell it was white

I can't help you with what it cost to do the covers because I did them myself

Last edited by allyolds68; August 29th, 2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old August 29th, 2012, 05:41 AM

I had my seats covered (buckets front and two pieces in rear) and parts dyed at a shop here in Maryland for $600.00 The fellow is just as "picky" as myself as I couldn't be happier with the results. As for the headrests, they were an option in '68 and I have yet to se a re-covered set that doesn't look re-covered. If they aren't cracked try to dye them to match. I bought all my stuff from Legendary and like the installation, could not be happier.
Old August 29th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
The covers will fit correctly. The only difference is that most 68's didn't have headrests and if they did the locks are different. The only other difference is the 69-72 seat locks are in the center of the back of the seat instead of the side like 68.

I have 68 covers on 69 seats in my car.

SEM makes a very good paint for vinyl. The color is called Landau Black. I painted a white convertible boot black and you can't tell it was white

I can't help you with what it cost to do the covers because I did them myself
Did you have to redo the foam and all or justthe covers? How difficult a job is it?
Thanks!!
Old August 29th, 2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by boese1978
Did you have to redo the foam and all or justthe covers? How difficult a job is it?
Thanks!!
My foam was in decent shape. It wasn't powdery but the driver's side had some rips in it and it didn't seem as "full" as it should have been. I ended up adding a layer of 1/2" foam to the top of both the driver's and passenger bottoms that I secured with spray adhesive.

If you pay attention to how it comes apart it's easier to put it together. I think I spent a couple afternoons to do both seats. Get a good pair of side cut pliers and a good set of hog ring pliers. I still have an original back seat. It's probably a good thing I could still use the old seat because my three year olds' car seat is digging into the vinyl and it will have to be replaced once she grows out of the seat.
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Ben

As mentioned above, SEM paint/dye works well as long as the side & back plastic isn't badly deteriorated. Try to scratch it lightly with a findernail. If the paint as well as some of the plastic comes apart, just buy repop sides & backs. If not, SEM Landau black is the right black color for our interiors.

The seats will physically bolt in place, and the earlier covers will fit w/o a problem- however you will have to replace the foam and possibly add some wires underneath-

Certain later years did not have defined "bolsters" in the bottom & backs, so their foam was just a solid peice. I'm pretty sure that 68's had the bolster tucks in the bottoms and backs.

Regarless of that, new foam helps to fill out the covers properly. You don't have a 45 year old couch at home with original cushions do you?

When you strip down the seats, if they are missing that wire on the spring assembly, you'll have to add it so the covers will have a spot to attach the bolsters to.

Not a big deal, get a 9 ga spring wire from a hw store and bend it, and you can hogring it into place. I can provide some pics if needed.

When it comes to buying stuff- for foam/buns -ONLY- buy American Cushion industries seat foam. It is the only one on the market that feels and looks right after installing. Don't buy from OPG(unless you want your head in the ceiling). Make sure you ask who ever you are ordering from what BRAND foams they sell. If they are not ACI, don't buy from them. National parts Depot Sells ACI foam, and so does Legendary. Not sure who fusick's sells, you'd have to ask.

PUI makes nice covers, legendary's are better, but more $$. I imagine fusicks sells both brands. National parts depot can order Olds covers, even if they don't specifically list them. You can call their 1800 and ask.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that includes links to sites offering rebuilding advice, and a video from PUI showing the bucket seat rebuild process.

its not hard- just time consuming.

I do this (seat stuff) on the side as kind of a hobby business. A set of GM buckets takes me about 16hours start to finish(including teardown) and I'm very good at it.

For comparisons sake, I charge $260 for a pair of buckets, w/ customer providing covers & foam. Price does not include repairs to springs. Most shops around here charge between $300-$500 for the same thing.

If you are interested in trying this yourself, i can assist if you'd like. I have detailed photos of each seat i strip down and build back up, and those pics can help you understand what you are getting into.

I can also provide all the hard to get stuff as well if you need to repair stuff, Zig Zag springs, spring clips, cardboard covered wires, burlap & jute decking materials.

Last edited by RAMBOW; August 29th, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Ben

from the other thread:

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
I have paid shops to do upholstery work for me, and every time, for one reason or another i have been disapointed- not necessarily by their work, but sometimes the materials, or the price, or a combination. THis led me to learn to do my own... and now I do them for other people- But if someone has the inclination I always try to push them to give it a try. There is nothing that feels better (ok, well almost nothing) than finishing a project yourself that other people have to pay someone to do for them.

The back seat is simple- Bucket seats are a little more complicated, but if you take your time, and do some research ahead of time, ANYONE can do it.

How to Recover 66-72 Bucket Seats(this thread covers several YEARS of posts... i'd start at the end and work backwards
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118256

How to Recover 66 (and basically the same as 66-72) back seats
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337465

Scroll down this page, and there is a link to a video of how to install covers on 66-72 bucket seats:
http://www.puiinteriors.com/index.php/techtips

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I have detailed photos showing the buildup of bucket seats. I've been meaning to compile them into an online guide- like a summary of what you see in those hundreds of posts in that team chevelle thead, but have never gotten around to it, but i do have the pics... I can share a link if you'd like.
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:30 AM

Very cool Ben. I would like to see and read anything you want to forward to me or send a link to. I will PM you my email address. I figure I have rebuilt a couple cars, mechanically speaking ( I suck at body work), so I am now going to tackle this project after reading your input above. Thanks again for the offer of assistance!
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Ben

No prob. Sent you a pm with my e-mail address. When you get your seats & get them torn down to the springs, shoot me an e-mail or give me a call and i can help you get rolling on repairing/recovering them.

A good source of reference (in addition to the links above), here is an album of a set of 66 chevelle seats i did. I took them with the intention of writing up instructions to go with them, but never did. They show a step by step of how I put them together, including what i use for the replacement decking under the foam.

http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/...evelle-Henkel/

This will be almost identical to what you will see when you strip yours.