70-72 442 Radio Delete - what does it look like?

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2011, 06:18 PM

70-72 442 Radio Delete - what does it look like?

Hi Guys,

I'm still looking for a Pioneer stereo with adjustable shafts that will fit my dash (70-72 442) without modification....and I may have to take a standard Pioneer unit and custom modify the shaft width. But then I got thinking about using an underdash unit....but that would look a bit silly with the Olds radio still in the dash...which got me thinking.....

What does the radio delete look like for these cars? I know there is a plate that covers the speaker opening on the dash.....I see repops of it on eBay. But what covers the radio opening? Since there is woodgrain is it a plastic plate with woodgrain on it that attaches thru the radio shaft holes? I've never seen this option so I have no idea what it looks like. How did they match the woodgrain? Or is there no woodgrain, meaning just black plastic. I'm thinking it would look pretty cheesy either way, so.....

If anyone knows.....or better yet has a pic......and the time to post.....I'd love to see what it looks like.

thanks,
bob
Old July 16th, 2011, 07:11 PM

I had a '71 w/ no radio, woodgrain was solid ie no holes for face or shafts. Dash had the holes in it behind the wood grain. Don't remember anything to do w/ dash speaker. I actually cut it @ the skinny point where it met up w/ heater control & used it to cover a din radio I had mounted right behind the dash opening. I fabbed & welded legs onto a din mounting cage, Velcro on the back of the woodgrain so it could go on & off for coverage or use of radio. Never worried about theft, system &speakers not visible, just had to hope they didn't knock the grain off rifling the glovebox!

Sorry, no pics, car long gone.
Old July 16th, 2011, 07:13 PM

it is a grained flat piece of plastic. Woodgrain applique can be glued to it. I have one 70-72 cover, NOS but it wouldn't be inexpensive.
Old July 16th, 2011, 08:48 PM

Thanks guys.....interesting. Sounds like if you bought the stripper base Cutlass model any type of radio was an option, meaning if you didn't order a radio as an option you got the solid piece of woodgrain without any holes for a radio. But if you ordered a model that came standard with a radio....and you wanted to delete it.....you got the block off plate that R2R describes.

R2R....I can see why these delete plates would be rare, and thanks for the offer....but I don't think I want to buy one right now. Just one question....how did it fasten to the dash? Thru the radio shaft holes?

thanks,
bob
Old July 17th, 2011, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by bobb
Hi Guys,

But then I got thinking about using an underdash unit....but that would look a bit silly with the Olds radio still in the dash........

bob
I thought the same thing when I came up with the idea for the stereo housings I build but they've sold as well or better than the gauge housings. I think anyones who knows cars and sees the cd player below the dash with the factory radio still in the dash understands why it was done. To preserve an uncut dash.
I originally had an 8 track player but got tired of reaching into my glove box to change the station or cd and I don't show it much any more so I put one of my stereo housings in.
As far as the wood grain, H&H might sell a dash kit that is solid where the radio opening is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
70 stereo hsg installed.jpg (58.3 KB, 93 views)
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:50 AM

Randy,

Your housings are awesome, and the fact that you can make them to custom sizes and don't just offer a one size fits all makes them very appealing. When all is said and done I may very well just leave my Olds AM radio in the dash and have you make me a housing for something like a Pioneer KPX 600 to hang under the dash.

thanks,
bob
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:46 PM

glue
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Grown Azz Kid

I have one of Randy's units and could not be happier with it
Old July 17th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Olds luvr
I have one of Randy's units and could not be happier with it
X2. He fixed my 8 track case (broken side and mount) for a very reasonable price and was very helpful with other questions about the unit. Also sells replacement parts for the 8 track as well. I know there are aftermarket units out there, but I like my OEM one.
Old July 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM

Like the other guys said the radio delete plate is just a flat piece of plastic with the same texture as the instrument panel. It has adhesive on the entire back of it (note my fingerprints in the adhesive!) and it sticks out just a very slight amount. You can see that in the photo where it's next to the heater control opening. John

P1010063-3.jpg

P1010067-3.jpg

P1010065-3.jpg

P1010076-2.jpg
Old July 18th, 2011, 05:29 PM

Guys,

Thanks for the info! John, those pics are GREAT. Now I understand

Have a good one,
bob
Old July 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Thanks guys. Glad to help with the housings or 8 track info anytime.

Bobb,

May be shootin' myself in the foot here (Stereo housing sale wise) but I just remembered that my 78 TA had a Pioneer am/fm 8 track in it when I bought it. I've put the factory am/fm 8 track back in it and the Pioneer should be around here somewhere. Would you want me to see if I can find it and send some pics of it?

John,
Is that really an Olds GM radio delete plate? I thought it would have fit inside the radio opening like the 68/69's. I could probably make those with the plastic I make the housings out of all day long.
Anyone have a junk dash plastic laying around they wanna sell. Thinking about mocking one up to see if it's doable. w70442@hotmail.com

Last edited by W70442; July 18th, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:41 PM

Hi Randy,

No need to go thru all the trouble of taking and posting photos of your Pioneer deck.....just tell me the model number....it should say somewhere on the unit. Then I can look up the chassis code for that model and figure out which other units have the same code.

As for the delete plate.......that looks pretty cool. But for a car with the woodgrain I'm thinking using a woodgrain insert that doesn't have the radio holes punched out would look more sano than the plastic plate with the wood grain glued to the top of it. If you can buy such the woodgrain insert without the holes cut out.

Just my 2 cents,
bob