69 automatic shifter console

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:50 PM

Smile 69 automatic shifter console

Standard 69 auto floor shifter questions. I dissasembled my shifter console to recondtion before installing in my floor shift conversion project . First question. Is there some mechanism that indicates what gear you are in like other shifters. When i took it apart there was the chromed p/r/n/d,2,1 cover, a dust cover about 1" wide and 8" long and a piece of metal about 1/2" wide x 5" wide that looks home made that appears it was covering the gear indiactor slots. Can someone help with picture or some feedback. I know there are to floor brackets for the console attachment that saddle the shifter, but does the shifter attach straight to the floor then and if so does anyone have advise on the location. Like reference deminsions. In advance thank you for all your help.
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 69OLDSCUTCONV
Standard 69 auto floor shifter questions. I dissasembled my shifter console to recondtion before installing in my floor shift conversion project . First question. Is there some mechanism that indicates what gear you are in like other shifters.
Only the lever being next to the PRNDSL indicator. There is no moving pointer, if that's what you're asking.
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Here are some pics of my floor pan and the shifter maybe you can use for reference.
It's already put back together otherwise I could measure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shifter.jpg (55.5 KB, 52 views)
floorpan.jpg (50.4 KB, 52 views)
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:09 PM

More questions

Joe
can you explain what or where the metal strip would be used.
I will add a picture of the parts later tonight

can you tell me what the bracket behind the shifter is for, i dont have that. I ordered console brackets but they dont arrive until tomorrow but it doesnt look like what i ordered.
Old May 24th, 2011, 04:07 PM

The bracket behind the shifter is for the console, specifically the storage portion.
You may have ordered a 1970-72 console bracket set?

Some places do repro the 67-69 brackets sorry I can't remember which companies.

The metal strip if it's what i'm thinking it goes under the Lock Park-R-N-D-2-1 plastic piece.
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 69OLDSCUTCONV
a piece of metal about 1/2" wide x 5" wide that looks home made that appears it was covering the gear indiactor slots.
That was the same thing I thought when I first saw that piece of metal as well. Where did they get those? It really does look like a scrap piece of metal, but it must be factory as I have the exact same piece. I believe it is to keep the light from being too bright, it only lets light out around the edges of the PRNDL.
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the help guys

I looked closer at the parts i ordered on thier web page it looks like the brackets will be correct. Im glad others had the steel piece under the lense i feel better something is not missing. Also there was reflective paint in the light housing under the shift indiacator that mostly came off, shoudl i paint it white or relfective tape ? I think i may have found four little dimples where the metal screws go to hold the rear of the shifter bracket. Does anyone have the deminsion of how far back the console bracket is from the shifter or am i better to mount the shifter, semi mount the console and the console bracket and then tack to the floor , remove and then finsih welding ?
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:40 AM

The console will align to the shifter because the shifter has a bracket that the console screws into. I have attached a photo where the bracket on the shifter is easily seen (even with the stick) and it also shows in the photos posted by 501Paratrooper. So the first step is to locate the shifter and it sounds like you found the 4 dimples in the floor for it. There is a 5th bolt that goes through the shifter into the floor pan up near tha cable. Once the shifter is located and attached, this will determine where the console will go. At that point, the rear console bracket will go where it needs to be to align with the holes in the bottom of the console storage bin. I would suggest that you attached that rear bracket to the console and then install the console to the already mounted shifter. Mark where that rear bracket sits, remove console and weld it in place. Do a quick tack weld and test the fit again before doing the final welding.

The original color of the paint inside the light housing is robins egg blue. That metal plate also was painted the same color on one side and I believe that plate does limit or direct the light as previously mentioned.

Be careful with the holes in the bottom of the console storage bin. The original screws used a tapered head that sat in the countersunk holes in the console bin. Many times you will find that people have tightened the screws too much or the console was pulled on with a lot of force and the screws would break through those mounting holes. Check the holes and if they are damaged, fix them with epoxy made for plastic, sand, finish and paint. If you aren't too concerned about the appearance of the screws in the bin, use a pan head screw with a small washer under it to spread the load so the holes aren't damaged again.Or, use the tapered screw with an upholstery washer which is those washers that have a taper on top and are flat on the bottom. You'll find these washers on the screws at the bottom of your front door panels.
Attached Images