64 F-85 Interior Replacement

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2020, 01:53 PM

64 F-85 Interior Replacement

I'm having a heck of a time trying to sort out what interior is actually in my car.

I'm trying to find reproductions of the original seats if they even exist anymore. I started browsing through Fusick and other catalogs without any luck but I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction.

In looking around, I've also noticed my interior door panels and my seats don't seem to match anything online that I can see. I actually prefer the interior door panel designs on my car to the more minimal vertical stitched ones I see in other photos online. I do know that the bottom 1/3rd of the door panel, and the elbow rest cover are replaced, but the rest look like they could be original.

The red interior carpet was swapped out for a gray one, that I don't care much about. Any help on what seats and door panels I have, and if its available to get replacements. Maybe they're off some other year, or they are just less common. I am not sure.

Last edited by Rocket 442; October 22nd, 2020 at 02:07 PM. Reason: adding photos
Old October 22nd, 2020, 03:02 PM

The F85 was lower trim level, Cutlass was a bit different, the door panel covered the top painted part of door.
Old October 22nd, 2020, 04:01 PM

This is what my 64 Cutlass has for door cards & you can kind of make out the seat pattern.

Old October 22nd, 2020, 04:51 PM

Thanks, guys. I see quite a few places with the (I guess you'd say Cutlass?) style replacements for seats. I assume then they just don't make the F-85 style seats anymore? I don't really care about it being an exact match, I was just curious why none of the options I saw seemed to match my interior. I guess they just didn't bother making F-85 replacements from what I've seen.

My only other thought was it had something to do with the weird mix of my car being an F-85, plus having Power windows. I assume that's not it since the seats wouldn't really have any impact there.

Last edited by Rocket 442; October 22nd, 2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2020, 05:49 PM

The interior in your car is for the F85 Deluxe model. It fits between an F85 base and a cutlass models. Your interior was available in cloth or vinyl, the door bottoms I believe should be carpeted. I have an F85 deluxe and I haven’t been able to find a reproduction interior. I have the same door panels that you have, but my seats have a cutlass pattern on them. Hope this helps.
Old October 23rd, 2020, 05:30 AM

Agreed with others. F-85 deluxe had a different interior (which I actually like better than the Cutlass version). I once had a 64 F-85 Deluxe V6 sports coupe with red interior that looked just like yours and I believe bottom of my door panels had carpet, but not sure. The top of door panel had that exposed part that was painted like yours. As far as I have seen, only the Cutlass interior has ever been repro'd. Yours looks in good shape - maybe could dye it as needed or replace pieces when needed. A good upholstery shop could replace parts or panels of seat covers, etc. but cutting our and sewing in new sections - problem is matching colors.

Last edited by oldsconv; October 23rd, 2020 at 05:32 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2020, 06:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

The problem is that the repro vendors pretty much only sell the Cutlass/442 interiors, not the F85 versions. SMS can provide original material for the other versions, and can make the door panels. They are extremely expensive, but at least they are excruciatingly slow. Unfortunately, they are about the only game in town.
Old October 23rd, 2020, 07:37 AM

Just had the interior installed last month. This car was a very basic trim level F-85 Club Coupe, as Joe has mentioned you can buy the replacement material and have the door panels made. I ordered 65 door panels, however the upholstery shop had to modify them to fit- this car had no rear arm rests, so as notice they had to extend the vinyl and make it match somewhat. They did a great job reupholstering the back seat to look similar to the bucket seats. Beside no rear arm rests, this car came only with an AM radio, heater, no seat belts, vinyl floor covering, 330 V-8 ( go granny go). Just providing a few ideas...
Old October 24th, 2020, 10:04 AM

Thanks, everyone. All this is definitely helpful.

I guess I'll have to decide if I want to order some red Cutlass/442 reproduction seats, or go with black and take out the existing seats. The issue is the red dash is in really good shape, and not sure if that'd look odd with a red there and in the center column, then black seats. Robski, yours looks good with the black and then red within the paint. So maybe that's the way to go.
Old October 24th, 2020, 03:42 PM

Thanks, here is a few more pictures for ideas. In 65 Oldsmobile offered a GM add stick on stripe kit available for the 442. If you look close, mine was painted on and continued on the dash, same on the rear by the package tray

for some ideas.