1972 Cutlass S Interior Materials and Color Options

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM

1972 Cutlass S Interior Materials and Color Options

Can anyone recommend a source/reference document that will have the factory seating covering specifications?

I have a gold colored 72 Cutlass S with white vinyl interior and top. It is all original and would prefer to keep it that way if. The front bench seat has few cracks. If an original option, I would like to have fabric seating surfaces. Was ther an option with fabric and vinyl? Was the fabric only an option on the Cutlass Supreme?

Any insight or leads will be appreciated.
Old April 17th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by pointroad
Can anyone recommend a source/reference document that will have the factory seating covering specifications?

I have a gold colored 72 Cutlass S with white vinyl interior and top. It is all original and would prefer to keep it that way if. The front bench seat has few cracks. If an original option, I would like to have fabric seating surfaces. Was ther an option with fabric and vinyl? Was the fabric only an option on the Cutlass Supreme? Any insight or leads will be appreciated.
I do have the 1972 Dealers ordering guide that shows the materials and color combinations recommended by the factory.

The 'vinyl' material you're describing is actually naugahyde - a more durable and flexible material than vinyl. The Cutlass Supreme could be ordered with Cloth/Naugahyde, or pure naugahyde if it was a bench car. IMO the white interiors look really sharp. They don't take much in the way of mtce - just clean with warm soapy water, and wipe with clean wet cloth. There's nothing in the way of 'leather conditioner' required. If you need more info lmk and I'll do my best to collate or scan the info for you.

Belated welcome to CO; please post some pics of your car
Old April 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

OOOPS
My bad, I was describing the 72 Cutlass Supreme. Then I realized that you have an "S" -Sport model after I posted it. Nevertheless, the information is still good. Only thing is that on Cutlass S models, the bench was always naugahyde - no cloth. The other thing about the S models is (for some wierd reason) you couldn't get the bench seat with armrest as an option - that was only for Supremes.

I'm familiar with your car, mine is a 72 Cutlass S too. If you're looking for replacement covers, most of the folks who have done their upholstery strongly recommend Legendary as a source of material quality, fit and pricing.
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:28 PM

1972 Cutlass Interior Materials

Originally Posted by Allan R
OOOPS
My bad, I was describing the 72 Cutlass Supreme. Then I realized that you have an "S" -Sport model after I posted it. Nevertheless, the information is still good. Only thing is that on Cutlass S models, the bench was always naugahyde - no cloth. The other thing about the S models is (for some wierd reason) you couldn't get the bench seat with armrest as an option - that was only for Supremes.

I'm familiar with your car, mine is a 72 Cutlass S too. If you're looking for replacement covers, most of the folks who have done their upholstery strongly recommend Legendary as a source of material quality, fit and pricing.
Thanks for the information. I guess it is white naugahyde since I want to keep it original. I saw areference to Legendary in another thread and downloaded the catalog.

Picture included. Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cutlass.jpg (67.9 KB, 43 views)
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:52 PM

check out my posts and pics. I ordered the covers from usapartssupply and it says they are pui covers. They turned out not too bad, but like you I would have preferred to have the original cloth and Naugahyde but they do not make it anymore. Most people have said to use legendary for quality. Cheerio
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...at-covers.html