1970/71 Dash Questions

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2012, 10:21 AM

1970/71 Dash Questions

Hello,
I am new to this site and I have a few questions.

How much interest is there in having custom metal pieces on the dash in place of the original woodgrain? And if there is a lot of interest, any specific pattern of metal?
OR
Is it more common for owners to restore the dash to the original look with woodgrain?

Also how many years does the 70-71 Style cover. Is it more than just those two years?

I work for a place that reproduces Ford parts and I am trying to gauge interest in Olds Dashes. Any information would be helpful.
Thank You.
Christina
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Administrator

It depends on whether your a purist or not as to what people do with the dash, gauges, and personalization. Olds owners are a mix just as any other make/ model car. The resto-mod guys go for the aftermarket gauges and stuf, and the purist's go stock.
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:35 AM

Thank You for your reply !
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well Eric, where's yer manners son?

Christina,
Welcome to C.O.

re: years of applicable dashes. 1970 - 1972 are exactly the same. The only difference in the woodgrain applique used in those respective years was the grain pattern. So if I understand correctly, you aren't reproducing the dash pads and lower dash insert/glove box; you're interested in the 'applique' that is applied on some models of Cutlass.

Most of the dashes I've seen on this site and others favor the stock look. There are a few folks who have challenged that theme very nicely with the aluminum swirl finish used in the Pontiac TA. They have carried the theme all the way through to the door panels too. Have to say it looks quite striking.

In all honesty I haven't seen a huge interest in custom dash appliques. But that's just based on my observations.

I'm sure many of the others will chime in and express their opinions as well.

Do you only do the applique or are there other parts you reproduce? I can tell you that I would love to find a better source of the AC/HEATER and trim bezel brushed aluminum appliques. Almost no one reproduces the one for Cruise Control or the Heater/AC applique with the option for defog on glass or blower defog. Then again not many cars came with those options. Are you set up to manufacture smaller quantities of these kinds of parts? I know I'd sure like to get some proper replacements for my car if the material/font and price is reasonable.
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Sowy, oh yeah welcome!
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:56 AM

Allan,

We would only be doing metal inlays/applique if we were to pursue it. I know H&H does the repop of the woodgrain and everyone seems to like it.

Someone here locally has a 442 and wants blue aluminum inlays to match his color scheme. Since having a pattern of the dash, It would not be hard to make inlays with different aluminum, with color or pattern. So that is where my question derived from.

Here is a link of some items on ebay that we sell. As I mentioned, we specialize in Fords.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8035985286?s...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8035985270?s...84.m1555.l2649

We also do inlays for 79-81 Camaro.

I don't see at as a problem to get patterns, I just do not know what material to do, whether to go with woodgrain or custom aluminum.

We try to stick with mass producing items, minimum of 20, I would say starting out. If the demand is high enough I am sure we could do what you are looking for.

Thank You
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes, H&H is one of the few that does a cruise bezel also, but their font is wrong and they won't change it.

There are actually quite a few vendors selling the woodgrain kits - From Fusick, Year One, Supercars Unlimited, OPGI, Parts Place, Stencils & Stripes, USA Parts Supply, BAP etc. The avg price for dash kits seems to run about 135.00 depending on the vendor.

Hey, I just noticed you're in Dayton. Used to live there back in 77. Don't miss the crazy drivers.
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:50 PM

Then it seems like we will stick with aluminum. Any lettering that we will do will be right. I am sure of that. The silkscreener we use is wonderful and understands that everything we do has to match original.

Dayton drivers are crazy? Hm, I seem to find crazy drivers anywhere I go! Everyone is always in a hurry to get somewhere.