1968 Olds Cutlass Interior Questions

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2013, 11:16 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

1968 Olds Cutlass Interior Questions

I am getting ready to repaint my console with SEM Landau Black paint. In talking with SEM today, they said if the plastic on my console is ABS I need to use their Sand Free blend as an adhesion promoter as opposed to their Plastic Adhesion promoter. Does anyone know what plastic material the original manual transmission console is made of?

Also, I am going to be repainting my original seat backs and seat bases. Does anyone know what plastic material was used for the originals? In checking the Legendary catalog, their reproductions use an original style heat stamped plastic. I'm not sure if this means ABS or not. And in the Fusick catalog it says their reproductions are made from ABS injection plastic molds. Any input would be appreciated.
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:18 AM

The 4 speed console base is ABS. The seat backs are injection molded plastic. I used SEM Landau Black on my console without any adhesion promoter and after three years of driving its still like new. I painted the console about 7 years ago. That being said I'd still use what they suggest. I used thier vinyl prep for my convertible top boot and it came out great.
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:48 PM

As already mentioned, consoles are ABS and you can use Sand Free or you can use another product like Bulldog Adhesion Promoter (buy locally at O'Reilly's or an auto paint supply place).

The original plastic seatbacks (and kickpanels) were polypropylene plastic. Again, you can use Bulldog on these. GET THEM CLEAN if you are redoing yours.

The newer repro seatbacks/sideskirts are ABS plastic and a bit thicker than the original polypropylene pieces. You want the repro pieces that are manufactured by TWE...those are the good/most original looking repros. Whoever you may be buying these from shouldn't have a problem telling you if TWE made them as you can't do an "end around" tp that vendor and go straight to TWE to buy them...TWE doesn't retail their items. So....ask them and don't take "we can't tell you" for an answer.

I saw some that Legendary sold a customer a few years ago (prior to TWE making theirs available) and they were hideous!!!...but I seriously doubt Legendary is selling that version any longer. I assume they are selling the TWE versions as that's the brand most, if not all, repro vendors seem to be now selling if they are concerned about selling a nice version of these. A customer recently sent a set from ILT and theirs are made by TWE.

Last edited by 70Post; July 25th, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:15 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Thanks Mike and Patton. My console is original, and both the seat backs and seat bases are original so based on your responses, I'll use the Sand Free on my console, and the SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter on my seat backs and seat bases. Thanks again for your input.

P.S. Never thought about repainting the kick panels, but now I might as well.