1966 F85 Holiday Deluxe 4dr Hardtop Interior questions

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:05 AM

1966 F85 Holiday Deluxe 4dr Hardtop Interior questions

So I got the bug to do some more work to the interior. I have already cleaned the carpets and the floor board, added in new sound deader material and created my own great looking rear shelf package, thanks to another thread on here and cleaned my headliner.

So here is my next steps with questions:

1. Remove the interior door panels
- How is this done? Are there clips behind it. I know that the window crank, door lever and armrest have to come off. I just don't want to destroy the panel trying to remove it because no one is making them, but I need to grease the channels and fix the locks. The car is a little warm in the summer with no air and no way to roll down the rear windows.

2. Switch bench for buckets. I like the bench but really want a center console. While no bucket will be correct for this car, I do have an upholstery guy who will mimic the bench pattern to buckets so that they match the back seat. But in my search for some buckets, I can't seem to find 66 cutlass/442 buckets. So the question is, what other years/divisions used the same bucket that would of been found in a 66 cutlass/442?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Any 66 Gm A body bucket seat is the same. Chevelle/Lemans/Cutlass/Skylark. 67 Gm A body seats are the same except they have a seat back lock provision.

Also any 66 full size GM car with buckets are the same seat minus the seat tracks. 66 Chevy II Nova minus seat tracks. All these seats went to a locking seat back in 67.

Henry
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:26 AM

You can use almost anything for seats if you weld in the corresponding mounts in the floor; in some cases you can just drill holes and make up spacers.
Door panels have scress at the bottom, then pop in clips along the sides. The top tucks into the door frame if it goes to the glass with a fuzzy in it, or it tucks under a chrome strip if not.
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Oldsdruid

After making an early version of Cutlass Salon, are ya? Personally I think it's a cool idea.

Seats are GM Strato-Buckets. Only 66 would be 100% correct, but 67 without optional backrest locks or any 68-72 GM Division bucket seat will work, it will just have the backrest lock- which is not a bad thing to have.

Go to any parts store and buy yourself a set of trim removal tools. Harbor Freight or Northern Tool has them cheap.

There is a U-shaped metal clip holding the handles on. Use the handle removal tool, slide it under the handle escutcheon and push the clip out of its groove. I've found that pushing the tool in under and parallel to the arm of the handle will usually put it in just the right spot.

The door panel clips push into the door structure and 66 could be either wire or plastic. Locate the clips on the back side of the door panel, then use the tool to pry the panel outward and the clip out of its hole in the door structure. Work your way around the perimeter of the panel and pull it outward, then lift it upwards off the door. You generally have to lower the window enough to get it loose at the beltline so you can lift it up.

You'll probably find a paper water deflector behind the panel. It's attached to the door structure with rope caulking, which you can find at Lowe's, Home Depot etc if you need new. There may also be some body tape on parts of the deflector.
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Thanks guys for the information, it is what I was looking for. I do have the tools, to remove it, I just didn't want any surprises.

rocketraider - I guess you could kind of say that it is getting a 'Salon' type make over. I have upgraded the suspension including giving it a rear sway bar. After I find some good bucket cores and get them redone maybe when I build the center console, I'll find some place to inlay the international flags emblem that came on them. By the way anyone got one of those emblems?