1965 442 Sport Coupe and Bucket Seat Covers

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2019, 08:14 PM

1965 442 Sport Coupe and Bucket Seat Covers

I just picked up my newly restored 65 Sport Coupe buckets from the upholsterer. They came out great, but again there were some problems with the PUI covers. I looked for other vendors for the Sport Coupe bucket seat covers, but PUI was the only one with the correct Metallic Red. I used PUI covers on my 64 Cutlass buckets and had similar problems. My original covers are in descent shape and could be used to pattern new covers. My question is if anyone has ever contacted Legendary about making covers from their original patterns? I have heard good things about Legendary, but they don't have what I need. I have sent them a few emails with no response. Let me know if anyone has had covers made from Legendary or anyone else from original covers.
Thanks
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Ben

What are the specific issues you have with the PUI covers?
Are they really bad enough that you are willing to tear them down again?

Any upholstery shop can make patterns from your old covers and make new ones (for patterns like these that are stiched, not so much for ones like GTOs that are heat melted).
How well they reproduce them depends on their own skill & your willingness to pay for that level of detail.

One off covers will not be $300 like the PUI ones....
Old March 8th, 2019, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the info. The covers are not terrible. They seem to be a little narrow at the top, which pulls in the back and causes wrinkles. The side skirts on the bottom are not long enough to go fully under the frame, so you see the black welting where the wires run through. Not bad enough to tear down the seats, but I figured if Legendary are just that much better, maybe I would send them my original covers so they could start making the 65 Sport Coupe covers. I know that a custom built seat cover would be spendy. I went down that road with my 59 Super 88. Just wanted to see if anyone else had reached out to Legendary, when they didn't offer a specific seat cover.
Spo
Old March 9th, 2019, 03:12 PM

PUI Seat Covers for a 1965 Sports Coupe

Just wanted to keep others updated with the PUI covers. I also noticed that PUI does not replicate the back panel like on the originals. It is missing the vertical grained panel and just has the regular material. They still look good, but just not 100% original. It's bad they don't mention this as most of the vendors and eBay only show the front of the seats with the paneling, so you just expect them to have the details for the back. Looks like the only way to really reproduce the correct seats would be to sew in the panels from an original seat. Just more information.

Old March 16th, 2019, 07:50 AM

Anyone else had any luck finding a vendor for the 65 Sport Coupe bucket seat covers with the correct pattern on the back of the covers?
Thanks
Old March 16th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Banned

Probably could just get the correct fabric from SMS Fabric and have a shop stitch correct panels over existing ones. Or contact SMS and see if they will make you a more correct set of seat covers if your current ones aren't to your standards. Probably 700 or so for seat covers at 80$ a yard for material.
Old March 16th, 2019, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the input. I figured I would need to go custom if I wanted them correct. Was just wondering if anyone else has been able to find correct ones from a vendor. Thanks for the SMS idea, if I go that route.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 07:04 AM

Seat material

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Spo
Thanks for the input. I figured I would need to go custom if I wanted them correct. Was just wondering if anyone else has been able to find correct ones from a vendor. Thanks for the SMS idea, if I go that route.
I have extra material for your seats. I used SMS for my club coupe and have extra vinyl left over. A good trim shop can stitch in it no problem. Left me know.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 07:22 AM

Thanks. Is this the vertical material for the back panel? Let me know what you need for it. I'm also looking for the metallic Red vinyl in a long piece to recover my dash pad and glove box.
Steve

Last edited by Big Daddy Spo; May 2nd, 2019 at 07:23 AM. Reason: correction
Old May 3rd, 2019, 03:31 AM

Vinyl

I have the ribbed maroon vinyl and the red metallic vinyl. I used it on these seats.
Old May 7th, 2019, 07:54 PM

Seat Vinyl extra material

Hey TK-65,
I sent you a PM with the dimension for the material I need. If you didn't get it, let me know and I will resend.
Thanks,
Steve