1962 Starfire New Seat Covers

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2015 | 03:54 AM

1962 Starfire New Seat Covers

Thought I'd post my latest breakthrough on my Olds do-up in case it helps someone else who's searching for a manufacturer of new replacement seat covers.

I'd spent way too much time searching this forum and other websites, including the usual suspects like Legendary in the hope someone still made original pattern replacement front bucket seat and rear seat covers for my 62 starfire, with little luck... until one place, www.automotiveinteriors.com replied saying they might just still have the original pattern. That was about 1 year ago and I can highly recommend them based on my experience.
Diane was the person at the other end who answered my email and she came back confirming they still have the original patterns and the complete set in leather/vinyl combination was approx. $1500. I wanted a replacement red/maroon set so Diane sent me samples until I was happy with a red leather and maroon vinyl combo that look great together. Keep in mind I'm in New Zealand and AI is in Springfield, MA. So the customer service was already impressive (which cannot be said for many auto industry companies these days). After numerous emails and samples I confirmed the order but not before Diane mentioned apologetically that, if i wanted, they could actually still do the OEM leather/vinyl materials too - with the glossy surface. that was about $2200 for the set. I was happy with the colours and quality of materials I'd chosen so didn't go with the totally original look. After the covers were made Diane sent me pictures of them then posted the lot to me in NZ. Very happy with the final product.

After a bit more searching and info gathering I was convinced that the 65 Impala SS bucket seats are the same as the 62 Starfire seats. American Cushion Industries foams are regarded by most as the best available repro foams so after checking the measurements with ACI (which confirmed 65 impala is the same as 62 starfire) I ordered 2 sets. I have so far installed 1 bucket seat foam and bottom cover and it fits great.

So I can highly recommend automotive interiors. Ask for Diane. Great customer service from the get-go, and their workmanship of the final covers is very impressive. See the pictures. No i'm not paid for this! Just happy with a really good result.
I'll follow up with how the bucket seat backs and rear seat covers fit once they're on. I'm taking my time...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5059.JPG (442.7 KB, 109 views)
IMG_6172.JPG (583.8 KB, 104 views)
IMG_6174.JPG (585.6 KB, 96 views)
IMG_6053.JPG (364.2 KB, 94 views)
IMG_6171.JPG (545.0 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Nimrodinder; September 22nd, 2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old September 21st, 2015 | 10:39 AM

That looks SHARP!!!
I'm doing a blue coupe and I think if they can do the seats in blue this is the way to go.
Thanks for the info, just made my day!
Steve,Jaswest
Old September 22nd, 2015 | 12:07 PM

Thanks for sharing this, looks great, but to me your original cover doesn't look that bad on the rear seat back. Good tip on the seat foam, this might work on my '63 too.
Old September 22nd, 2015 | 05:38 PM

Yes good chance the foam will work for your 63 Starfire. AI could well have the pattern for your seat covers too. worth asking.
The rear seat back is probably in the best condition of my originals, but it is stiff and likely to start cracking soon. I thought about perhaps leaving it but the seat bottom is a little more worn (not cracked but close) and the whole thing would look a little strange with new in front and old in the rear. so out it goes.