Ruining Oldsmobile Great Cars

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2019, 08:13 PM

Ruining Oldsmobile Great Cars

I just wish there was a way to Outlaw (Clones & Tribute) cars it defames iconic models that Oldsmobile has made over the years
Old January 27th, 2019, 08:36 PM
Phantom Phixer

PLEASE ! We car hobbyists have enough laws to deal with already .
Enviornmental laws , zoning laws , scrappage ( clunker ) laws , title headaches , etc. etc.
As long as their are repro decal kits and emblems , there will be clones , tributes , and "fakes" . Live with it .
This is a free country , let's keep it that way !

Last edited by Charlie Jones; January 27th, 2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old January 28th, 2019, 01:42 AM
Hookers under Hood

I agree with, don't need any more laws!
If someone wants to clone their car because that's the look they want to enjoy it more, then go for it. Nothing wrong with it IMO. I think the numbers matching originals still hold their value anyway, its just buyer beware at that point.

Eric
Old January 28th, 2019, 05:10 AM

Clones & Tribute cars are not really the problem themselves. It is falsifying documents and representing them as something they are not for financial gain. Lots of people out there that do not have a clue about documents or restamped numbers get cheated every day. That is what hurts the real cars and honest people.
Old January 28th, 2019, 06:18 AM
344879M363895

There will always be the purists and those who wish to have "artistic expression." Rarely do the two groups agree.

On the more rare and desired cars, I do have an issue with any modifications that aren't stock. I prefer to see them exactly how they were made. However, on the models that had high production I don't see much of a problem with someone dropping in another engine for more power or doing up the exterior to their liking. Look at it this way...if every one of us went into a clothing store, we would all come out with different outfits. You might not like mine and I might not like yours. But, I like mine and you like yours. Sometimes that's all that matters.

The exception will be the cars that are made with the intent to deceive for a profit, as Eric mentioned. But for those guys who are doing it simply because they can't afford the real thing...I'm not sure I have a real problem with them. Just if/when they go to sell they had better be full-disclosure.
Old January 28th, 2019, 06:24 AM
Administrator

I and probably most of the populace not like being told what we can or cannot do whether it be cars or most anything else for that matter.
Old January 28th, 2019, 07:46 AM

I have an issue with the defrauding.

I also have an issue with people taking a rare, correct car and irreversibly modifying it, thus making one less. It's a very selfish thing to do, since 99% of mods are worse than factory. It's like, these are works of art, and you are a steward by owning it. You have a responsibility to maintain its value.

Edit: Since the second one is not a law, you can reserve your right to mess up an old car since "it's mine and I can do what I want," and you can receive the mockery and the loss of money when you sell it as well, because decisions have consequences.

Last edited by Koda; January 28th, 2019 at 07:49 AM.