It's finally happened! I found my dream car!!!

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That book has some good info in it, but it also has some errors most people won't know about. Don't take everything in it as gospel. I have a copy of it as well, and generally it's a decent book.
Old June 10th, 2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Oldzee
Hey guys, I'm in Ansonia, which is in the section of Connecticut referred to as "The Valley". I did buy the car locally pogo69, are you familiar with it?

Hey 76 Regency, I would absolutely love to bring this car to the Olds show in September. Save me a spot, I'll be there, especially if I can get this leaky manifold worked out :-) Speaking of which...
Hey Oldzee, Ansonia's not too far at all. The show is great and you will feel right at home along side a few other H/O. It's only Oldsmobiles and we tend to get over 100 cars. Good luck with that manifold leak and hope to see you at the show. Enjoy your new ride!
Old December 14th, 2015, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oldzee
Also, I need to paint the openings of the scoops black. I've seen some painted on the inner sides of the scoops and some not. Opinions please or is there documentation? Could use some close up pics of exactly where to paint and what paint to use. Thanks so much guys!
Scott (new and first time classic owner)
To the best of my knowledge the inner sides of the scoops were not painted. That was a black decal. It can probably be reproduced by purchasing some wide black tape stripe and making some templates out of paper to make sure you have the correct dimensions. My dad bought and still has his 72 Hurst. It had original paint on it still in 1984 and it had decals. Of course you are welcome to paint yours on, but I truly believe with all my heart they were decals. The reason you see them missing is because they are never part of the stripe kit people reproduce and they get forgotten about and never put back on when it comes back from the body shop, which ironically is the case with my dad's. Maybe that will be his Christmas gift this year.

Good luck with your new car. Don't go overboard with replacing everything. They are only original once. You have a very nice Hurst/Olds.
Old December 15th, 2015, 06:47 AM

I looked at this car (to buy), a few years ago. It had a killer body, a lot of small issues, and the owner was a moron. The car was posted for sale, I went to buy it, the guy really didn't want to sell it! His Daddy posted it here, and I think he probably owed his Daddy $. I agreed to pay the complete asking price, but he just wasn't ready to sell it yet. When I said I'd buy it, pay full price, he gave me the run around. It wasn't running well when I saw it, it had carb, trans + exhaust problems. It also had issues with the sunroof and vinyl roof. Good luck with the car, I thought it had serious potential.

Last edited by mrolds69; December 15th, 2015 at 06:50 AM.
Old December 15th, 2015, 02:48 PM

This is the same car you contemplated buying. The seller was, shall we say, rough around the edges? But he had something I wanted and it was local. It was a '72 Hurst with working power sunroof. I wasn't passing it up. I still pinch myself when I go into my garage. With the help of a fellow CO member, I've been turned on to a local expert who can help with repairs. The car runs great and now has the proper W/Z's, heater core, trumpets and more. The sunroof has always worked fine too! There's still more to do but I can jump in, turn the key and turn heads. Here's a pic of it now showing it's H/O quarter decals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (1.51 MB, 24 views)
Old December 15th, 2015, 03:32 PM

I really wasn't contemplating it, I was ready to buy and had the cash. Called him up to set it up and he backed out. No...not rough around the edges, he was a total jerk about it, it was clear he really wasn't ready to sell. It looks nice, it has a great body...that's why I wanted it. When you buy a car, that's the most expensive thing to repair. Engines, trans, exhaust, trim, interior...all are minor compared to 20K for body work + paint. I'm glad it went to somebody who appreciates it. If it was local to me, maybe I would have worked harder to buy it. But...you can't make somebody sell who's not ready to sell. He told me he needed the $, but it took him 2 more years to sell it. He may have fixed some stuff on it, too. Worked out ok for me, I bought a triple black 1970 GS 455 convertible...loaded...one of 4 triple black 'vert cars built. Just a little more $, so...it's all good. Enjoy it...maybe talk to you at the NEOC show if I go next year.
Old December 15th, 2015, 03:45 PM

Dam nice car ! Great year and oh the Hurst !!