HURST logo..?

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2022, 06:17 PM

HURST logo..?

Does anyone know where to find the HURST logo that was on the doors on the 69 cars..?? i want a BIG .( H ) in a magnet to go on the doors..If not..? does anyone one know the SIZE of the logo..? Height wise..?
Old November 27th, 2022, 03:10 PM

I made my own. Bought a roll of magnet material, planned it, drew it up and cut it out.
White magnet material, I spray painted the red and the black, I'll see if I can get some better close up pics.
I used the classic Linda pic I had, pictured below. I measured my mirror and then measured the one in the pic and used that as a frame of reference in order to work out the measurements.
The one Item I skipped is that the "H" has a white border so it could be used on any color car so that the logo would stick out, especially if used on a black car.
I found a font as close as possible to the "HURST", printed that on paper, cut those out and transferred to white vinyl material with sticky backing and placed them on the logo after paint.
Important item to note that I've seen people mess up is.... the "H" is solely in the 'Red' portion of the larger 'H' while 'URST' is then in the black...

Old November 27th, 2022, 03:48 PM

Nice..so what was your final measurement height of the letter..14" ..??? I like do crafty stuff...
Old November 27th, 2022, 03:52 PM

How does that stuff cut..? With straight edge and razor..?
Old November 27th, 2022, 03:56 PM

also..what angle degree ( slant) did you end up having..
Old November 28th, 2022, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by STINKY HO
Nice..so what was your final measurement height of the letter..14" ..??? I like do crafty stuff...
15 inches

How does that stuff cut..? With straight edge and razor..?
yes, straight edge and box cutter. I'll see if I can find the thickness of the material, it's not real thin, its substantial enough that I have no worry of it blowing off the car door.

I'll measure that and get back....
Old November 29th, 2022, 04:10 PM

Nice thanks..I found a 0.030 thickness in a roll online...And also do you have a close up pic of your logo..?
Old November 29th, 2022, 08:29 PM

Mine measured 9.8 deg off vertical.
The thickness measured out to be .040, first use for my 'mic' in a while
Used Oracle 651 white vinyl for the lettering...

Old November 29th, 2022, 08:56 PM

Nice thanks..I found a 0.030 thickness in a roll online...And also do you have a close up pic of your logo..?
Here's a closer pic, I store it on a metal garage door from time to time...

Old November 30th, 2022, 12:05 PM

Wow..Nice job...and you cut those letters out by hand also..?? and that is just spray paint on the Mag Roll..?
Old November 30th, 2022, 12:10 PM

really surprised how that paint holds up from the flexing..and adhesion..( crack..flaking..)
Old November 30th, 2022, 12:11 PM

what make of paint is it..? and sheen?
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:12 PM

Wow..Nice job...and you cut those letters out by hand also..?? and that is just spray paint on the Mag Roll..?
I first printed the 'HURST' to paper. used Microsoft Publisher and found a font close to the lettering.. I forgot the font but could probably track it down.
Used very large size to print to paper as when I made it the size it would not fit/print on one sheet of paper, so used two sheets to get the letters out.
I then taped those to the vinyl sheet and cut around them to get the individual vinyl lettering.
I also printed 'HUR' and 'ST' on 2 sheets to get the 'spacing' correct, then taped them together for full spacing. You can see that in that overhead pic of me working on it where that is on top of the ruler and I'm aligning the letters in the same spacing on to the large 'H'.

I'm sure you could do the same straight to vinyl with one of those Cricut machines but I didn't have one.

really surprised how that paint holds up from the flexing..and adhesion..( crack..flaking..)
what make of paint is it..? and sheen?
Believe it or not that is just regular Rustoleum semi-gloss black and red and it does hold up or not crack from flexing. it's not a ton of coats so that probably helps.
It has been scratched/scuffed but I just carefully sprayed over the affected area and it blends back in.
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:45 PM

I’ve got a fairly good sized layout of that hurst logo on my computer somewhere. I’ll try to find it and make it larger to fit the 15” height. It’s a replica of the 60s style logo.The one with the shifter running through it. I’d have to add some white border lines to it. Got a plotter too and can cut the letters from white vinyl Beats having to hand cut the lettering.
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:56 PM

Yah think one of those...lettering ( car magnet places)a Sign store could make the logo from scratch with there digital printer and magnetic roll..??if not, then maybe scan your ..Logo and make it.??..Just curious cause i would buy a few different style logos...I like the hurst logo you have and also the GOLD and Black logo.too...and the shifter one too...
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:59 PM

Or even a Real big one out of Vinyl to put on side of Enclosed trailer..I always loved the HURST LOGO..probably because I lived right across from the HURST building in Warminster.. Pa....as a kid...
Old November 30th, 2022, 05:04 PM

I remember being on a school bus sitting in the front row..And staring down at the Bus driver shifting and seeing a HURST LOGO on the shifter...and at that same moment..i just happened to look to my right ..out the window ,and saw the same exact logo on a building....and it confused me and I didnt understand ..Why.?? or what the connection was..but it was a weird feeling..lol
Old December 4th, 2022, 11:44 AM

Here's the ground-up finished logo I was working on based on the stick shift through the middle decal. This is a scaled down version of the 15" high one. Working on an "H" cutout template with vinyl stick-on Hurst lettering. Add your own magnet material and paint- good to go.

Old December 4th, 2022, 12:05 PM

Yah think one of those...lettering ( car magnet places)a Sign store could make the logo from scratch with there digital printer and magnetic roll..??if not, then maybe scan your ..Logo and make it.??..Just curious cause i would buy a few different style logos...I like the hurst logo you have and also the GOLD and Black logo.too...and the shifter one too...
Bear in mind it's a trademark. Most pro print shops will not touch such a thing unless you own the trademark, or get a license for it. I had to negotiate hard to convince a local embroidery shop to copy a logo onto bigger hats than they one they gave me based on how it was a hardship to do my job with the smaller hat.
Old December 4th, 2022, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Bear in mind it's a trademark. Most pro print shops will not touch such a thing unless you own the trademark, or get a license for it. I had to negotiate hard to convince a local embroidery shop to copy a logo onto bigger hats than they one they gave me based on how it was a hardship to do my job with the smaller hat.
Unfortunately, Stinky, this is true, to a point. However, if you make your own for your own personal use on a Hurst-converted car, it can be argued that it avoids the third leg of the trifecta of scenarios of what constitutes trademark infringement. Which is using it to create confusion. Pasting a personally-made Hurst logo on a Hurst/Olds would likely not cause any confusion as to what the logo represents. You're not putting the logo on a car that it wouldn't belong, for instance. You could always use the Fair Use part of being used as an historical recreation, or maybe an educational tool, perhaps. It would really be up to the trademark owner as to whether they wanted to pursue such. I'm pretty sure if you show up at a car show with a big hurst logo on the sides of your Hurst/Olds, ain't nobody going to bat an eye or get confused. If/when Jeff ever goes to jail over it, then I'll be concerned.

Of course, convincing a printing shop of all that may be a completely different story. I know that some care, and some don't.
Old December 5th, 2022, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
It would really be up to the trademark owner as to whether they wanted to pursue such. I'm pretty sure if you show up at a car show with a big hurst logo on the sides of your Hurst/Olds, ain't nobody going to bat an eye or get confused. If/when Jeff ever goes to jail over it, then I'll be concerned. .
I'll hire Mike as my legal console for my Rustoleum painted 'H' magnet
Valid points though...Take a stroll thru ebay & etsy and its knee deep in individuals peddling Hurst products and every other trademark infringement you can think of, can't imagine they all have licensing. You would think those trying to turn a profit would be clamped down on... and perhaps they are.
Old December 5th, 2022, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1969Hurst
Might want to rethink that. By the time I was done defending you, we'd BOTH be in the slammer either kicking someone's *** the first day, or becoming someone's bitch.

Old December 6th, 2022, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by 1969Hurst
Valid points though...Take a stroll thru ebay & etsy and its knee deep in individuals peddling Hurst products and every other trademark infringement you can think of, can't imagine they all have licensing. You would think those trying to turn a profit would be clamped down on... and perhaps they are.
It's a full time job. I've seen Caterpillar go cease and desist on a bootleg T shirt guy, next year, no CAT amongst his stuff.
Old December 8th, 2022, 07:48 AM

If you get some magnet material, here's dimensions below. I did a quick MS paint dimension thing.

I have a "THRUS" or "HURTS" pre-cut letter set to fit it in white Oracal 651 vinyl. I can arrange any 5-letter word you wish out of those letters. Or I could make it into a template if you wish to spray paint it on there.

If you don't have a protractor for degree measurements, you can measure a line straight up 15" from the bottom legs and move to the right approximately 3- 19/64" (-ish) to get the angle. Sorry, I didn't get the calipers out for engineering specs. Everything is + or - 2 inches. Just kidding. This is just based on my replica I made from the decal.

Last edited by 69HO43; December 8th, 2022 at 08:18 AM.
Old December 10th, 2022, 01:24 PM

I made the center lettering from the Oracal 651 white lettering and it's kinda already landed with its own alignment template as shown below. It doesn't actually say Thurs, though. Letters aren't shown in the typical spots. I'll let you figure it out.

Bad picture, as the letters are bright white. If you use the measurements from my previous post, these letters will apply quickly and easily as there is a pre-mask for the lettering already applied (not shown).