'68 H/O below bumper air scoops

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2010, 07:51 AM

'68 H/O below bumper air scoops

As is obvious from the pics of the Silver Bullet, it is a clone/tribute/wannabe H/O. I am attempting to construct under bumper scoops that are BASICALLY CORRECT (as the ones I've already completed are WRONG, I think), along with the brackets that hold them. I have figured out what to move underhood to enable the air hose(s) to come through, and have modified my air cleaner housing w/two snorkels, so that is done. I need pictures/suggestions on the bumper scoops specifically, please, or where to find them. First ones I made LOOK good, just figured out they ain't gonna' hook up. So much for not planning properly!
Thanks for any and all responses.
Aron C. Nance
Dallas, TX
Old December 30th, 2010, 09:56 AM

I have heard that 68 are slightly different in appearance from 69. I have also heard someone reproduced the 69s. Sorry, I don't have any more information than that.
Old December 30th, 2010, 10:18 AM

what about parts place?
Old December 30th, 2010, 12:34 PM

I purchased a set of repop for my 1969 years ago, they're pretty thin and appear brittle. I've seen a couple different ones advertized on ebay, ones that are hard plastic and somewhat brittle, another product is polypropylene harder to break. Either one will probably suffer damage if you get to close to a curb or those concrete stops in a parking lot. I've not seen the two side by side but have been told the 1968 is wider and shorter than the 1969. Here's a link to a guy on ebay selling the heavier poly ones for your 1968. BAP is also selling scoops on ebay, but I don't know anything about their products.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...item3cb3b226ae
Old December 30th, 2010, 01:27 PM

There was a guy at the Peotone Tri-Chevy Swap Meet in Illinois [every fathers day] that has them - seemed pretty solid.
Said he made his own mold, and better than original.
I know I have his card somewhere, but I've moved a couple times since!
If I run across it, I'll post it!
Old December 30th, 2010, 01:55 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

OPG has most of what you need including the brackets for the scoops. They have a custom made air cleaner that looks correct. There is a guy that does them for OPG. OPG commissions him to build on an "as needed" basis. He grafts one from two OEM cleaner bases. The subtle differences between the two years are supposed to be present as well. Take a look. Its the 4th tab in under the "air intake" tab. They state the scoops are made from ABS. They also have the 68-69s side by side for comparison. The 68s are longer and narrower as per originals were. I dont see the chrome strip on the lip of the scoops though. I didnt dig to see if they had that too. At one time I thought OPG offered this as a kit for 8-$900?
Old December 30th, 2010, 09:04 PM

Originals are polypropylene...flexible plastic (that's why the guy that has the ebay auction talks about being able to "stand on them"....of course, if you stood on the wrong spot you'd likely still ruin them when they folded up).

Parts Place's are ABS....that's the harder, more brittle plastic. But it's also easier to repair if ever damaged.

The pair in the ebay auction.....I think that seller is a guy named Mike Seidlik...has a place called Seidlik (Siedlik?) Signs. He is a big Hurst memorabilia nut also. Have seen him at a few OCA National events with Hurst stuff as well as their scoops. He and his wife sort of spearheaded the diecast Hurst Hairy Olds model and/or a red 442 version die cast of the same year. I remember at an OCA Nats in Lansing they were taking pre-production orders for the die casts.

One small note....Seidlik's scoops, while polypropylene, also had a distinct heavy texture on the outside surface of the scoops...sort of a heavier version of what you would see on a '70-72 dash pad. I heard he claims "this is how they were originally" but that is not correct. The originals were a relatively smooth poly plastic with various, random "nibs", etc on the surface from the molds or molding process.

Still....he's been making those for MANY YEARS and you probably can't go wrong with them. That seems like a pretty good deal on the pair on ebay but you also need to figure in the cost of the cloth ram air hoses, clamps, etc (maybe you already have go that part taken care of). I believe he also sells the clamps for the wheelwells and maybe the clamps where the hoses meet the air cleaners.

At $180 for the most complicated part of that OAI system I'd sure give those a hard look.....you'll likely never fabricate anything that looks as good as the originals and the minor "defect" he notes on one of the scoops may not be that big of a deal.

The scoops had a style of stainless "door edge guard" looking trom on the leading edges from the factory...don't know what you would do about that. This stainless also acts as somewhat of a "stiffener" to keep the scoop opening shape "open".

You should probably call him and or try to contact him via ebay and talk it over. Maybe you can work an even slightly better deal with him.

The area that seems to always get damaged on these is the back of the scoop that faces the front of the front tires. I think people put bigger tires or wheels on and then with a big bump, etc that area gets really scraped up....SEE THE PIC BELOW OF A '69 scoop with this "tire damage".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1552.JPG (80.1 KB, 76 views)
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:32 AM

This help?

http://oldsparts.com/page25.htm

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/broth...-fullsize.html
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:13 AM

Couldn't drive it around here, today - 'snowcatchers' is what you'd have!
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:37 AM

If you buy one of those kits for a 1969, what fabrication do you have to do to the existing Inner-FenderWells (IFW) to make the kit work?

Would you (can you) buy a set of pre-cut IFW for your conversion?

NS
Old February 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I dont think "pre-cut" fender wells exist? You need to examine a genuine example to get a general idea of where the cut is located. I have some pics if you want me to email what I have?
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
I dont think "pre-cut" fender wells exist? You need to examine a genuine example to get a general idea of where the cut is located. I have some pics if you want me to email what I have?
Doc,

Thanks, can you please send me the pics?

My email: sempergumby 2 @ yahoo . com

Appreciate the assistance.

NS

Last edited by NightStalker; February 6th, 2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old February 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
As is obvious from the pics of the Silver Bullet, it is a clone/tribute/wannabe H/O. I am attempting to construct under bumper scoops that are BASICALLY CORRECT (as the ones I've already completed are WRONG, I think), along with the brackets that hold them. I have figured out what to move underhood to enable the air hose(s) to come through, and have modified my air cleaner housing w/two snorkels, so that is done. I need pictures/suggestions on the bumper scoops specifically, please, or where to find them. First ones I made LOOK good, just figured out they ain't gonna' hook up. So much for not planning properly!
Thanks for any and all responses.
Aron C. Nance
Dallas, TX
A freind of mine,who use to work for Oldsmobile for 32 years, Willis Dennis
could be of some help! I'll give you a ring tonight and give you his contact number.