General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Under Bumper Air Scoops

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:35 AM

Under Bumper Air Scoops

Other than buying repop air scoops, is there anything else (from another vehicle, or custom made) that would accomplish the same thing.

I plan on adding this feature to my car (70 Cutlass), but would rather not pay the $225 price tag for a reproduced set.

d1
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by defiant1
Other than buying repop air scoops, is there anything else (from another vehicle, or custom made) that would accomplish the same thing.

I plan on adding this feature to my car (70 Cutlass), but would rather not pay the $225 price tag for a reproduced set.

d1
Build an airbox to draw air from the base of the windshield. It's an improvement over sucking in water from a puddle. The under-bumper design may have looked cool but it wasn't very performance oriented
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:40 AM

This requires cutting hole in firewall, correct?
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:55 AM

I'm not a 70-72 guy but on 68's the rear vent on the hood can be used.

But you're correct, I have also seen the a hole cut through the cowl to tap into the void where the wiper transmission is.
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

d1
Nearly every American car built since the mid-1970s has had outside air induction. So long as you ingest air from in front of the radiator, you'll get the benefit of lower intake temps. So long as you don't mind cutting holes in the core support, consider the inlet from a mid-1980s Chevy/GMC full size pickup. These vehicles used a round plastic inlet fitting that snapped into a hole in the core support. These trucks are still plentiful in wrecking yards. Get two of the fittings, fabricate a dual snorkle air cleaner, and get some dryer ducting. Total investment is probably under $50.

Again, this won't be "ram air", but then, neither was the Olds factory setup. Reducing the inlet air temp is far more important than any "ram" effect.
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Nearly every American car built since the mid-1970s has had outside air induction. So long as you ingest air from in front of the radiator, you'll get the benefit of lower intake temps. So long as you don't mind cutting holes in the core support, consider the inlet from a mid-1980s Chevy/GMC full size pickup. These vehicles used a round plastic inlet fitting that snapped into a hole in the core support. These trucks are still plentiful in wrecking yards. Get two of the fittings, fabricate a dual snorkle air cleaner, and get some dryer ducting. Total investment is probably under $50.

Again, this won't be "ram air", but then, neither was the Olds factory setup. Reducing the inlet air temp is far more important than any "ram" effect.
I can't visualize these inlet fittings at the moment, but I will research it and see what they look like. I got a dual snorkel air cleaner already. Just need to figure out what to use as the air inlet. Thanks for the idea.

d1
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:19 PM

Semi hi-jacking here: Does anyone make the scoops for a 66 in the bumper?
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:53 PM

Two places come to mind : Mike Seidlick http://www.thegoodoldsdays.com/
and Ram Air Box

http://www.ramairbox.com/install.html
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:06 PM

I just finished fabricating my own air scoops, I used two rectangular dryer ducts, wrapped with 3" flat iron for stiffness, a few bends, 3 holes drilled per side, then welded them to my frame, one 4"-3" plastic coupler per side, 2-3" hose clamps and some thick flexible rubber hose with metal reinforcement which I found at a rubber /hydraulic hose store at the port of Tacoma, then routed neatly out the front sides of the motor and attatched with 3" hose clamps to the dual snorkel air cleaner which I fabricated myself. It turned out great, and best of all cost less than $120.00 for the whole set-up. My car breathes much better and stays cool. It used to hesitate when I jumped on it, as with my aftermarket high rise intake manifold it was starving for air, now when I floor it it's go time, no hesitation. As soon as I upload the pics. from my phone to my computer I will TRY to post pictures. Good luck, Dster69442 By the way, I painted the scoops black so they don't stickout, but they look awesome!

Last edited by dster69442; April 6th, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by dster69442
I just finished fabricating my own air scoops, I used two rectangular dryer ducts, wrapped with 3" flat iron for stiffness, a few bends, 3 holes drilled per side, then welded them to my frame, one 4"-3" plastic coupler per side, 2-3" hose clamps and some thick flexible rubber hose with metal reinforcement which I found at a rubber /hydraulic hose store at the port of Tacoma, then routed neatly out the front sides of the motor and attatched with 3" hose clamps to the dual snorkel air cleaner which I fabricated myself. It turned out great, and best of all cost less than $120.00 for the whole set-up. My car breathes much better and stays cool. It used to hesitate when I jumped on it, as with my aftermarket high rise intake manifold it was starving for air, now when I floor it it's go time, no hesitation. As soon as I upload the pics. from my phone to my computer I will TRY to post pictures. Good luck, Dster69442 By the way, I painted the scoops black so they don't stickout, but they look awesome!

Can't wait to see the pictures. This is the type of feedback I am after.

d1
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:27 PM

I purchased the whole OAI from Parts Place. They run a special $650.00 for everthing. Looks stock and looks great.
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
I purchased the whole OAI from Parts Place. They run a special $650.00 for everthing. Looks stock and looks great.

To rich for my blood. On my 70 front bumper I have 2 openings in the bumper itself (unlike your model) that I plan on using. So instead of under bumper it will be "inner bumper" mounted. Well, that's the plan anyway.

d1
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:41 PM

dster69442 airscoops

here is a pic. of engine compartment, I will post pics of under bumper scoops next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
04022011039[1].jpg (72.1 KB, 198 views)
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM

dster69442 bumper scoops

here is a pic of the passenger side scoop. when I get the car outside I will post a whle pic. later
Attached Images
04072011041[1].jpg (25.5 KB, 202 views)
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM

here is a pic of the passenger side scoop. when I get the car outside I will post a whle pic. later

What are the dimensions of the air ducts you used?
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:59 PM

scoops

The scoops are approx. 4" tall and 10" wide, rectangular , with a built in reduction to a 4" round (stainless steel dryer duct ) which I then attatched a 4" round to 3" round plastic pipe piece then used 3" clamp to attatch to the 3" hose which routes to the air cleaner and attatches to the snorquel. All parts were purchased at Lowe's and Home Depot. I got the snorquel piece at a local junkyard which I had to cut and weld, grind, bondo and paint to match the other snorquel (air intake) piece. You may also have to cut off the fluted ends on the snorquels to get the rubber hose to fit over them.

I then bought 3 feet of 3" stock flat steel, cut into 4 equal pieces, that I bent in my vice to match the 4" sides of the duct/scoop , drilled 3 holes per side (12 holes total ) and attatched to each 4"side using 1/2" bolts, nuts, and lock washers.

I marked the positions under the bumper and on the frame that I thought looked best and welded 4 pieces of angle iron (about3-4" in legth)to the frame which I then welded the flat 3" (previously drilled to fit the scoops) supports to the angle iron. I then re-attatched the scoops to the now welded brackets using the previously mentioned 1/2 " bolts, nuts and lock washers, painted everything flat black attatched the hoses and was complete.
I hope this helps you, good luck with your build. Derek
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:49 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post all the details of your build. Did you notice quite a difference from the stock air cleaner to the dual snorkel setup (performance wise)? Any adjustment to carb necessary?
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:32 PM

Not a huge difference, but definitely noticeable and breathes better I need a couple of dry days to run and adjust the carb and possibly timing. I am happy for now and it looks cool. Imo
Old April 9th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Registered

Is anybody else reminded of this every time they see one of those outside air set-ups?

b9.jpg

Back in the day all you did was take the hood off if you wanted outside air induction.
Old April 9th, 2011, 05:32 AM

Warning Will Robinson! Warning!
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:37 PM

Installed the Under Bumper Air Induction on the 70 Cutlass

Got it done and it does not look too bad. Of course the scoops are a prototype and will be subject to change. Below are some pictures.

I got the used RAMAIR dual snorkel off of ebay. It came with a drop base.

The air cleaner lid is 1/8 thick plate steel that I had cut to 15 inches in diameter and drilled in the center to accommodate the threaded rod. I also got this from ebay as well.

The duct hose is suppose to handle 300*, so I am hopeful it will withstand abuse.

I left the windshield washer reservoir in its original spot. I had to secure the hose over in between the radiator hose and reservoir in order for the hood to close.

If the A/C compressor wasn't in its current location the hoses would look more symmetrical, but it is what it is.

I cut holes in the plastic inner fender and use PVC couplers (4" diameter) to connect the hose in the engine compartment to the hose underneath the car.

more pics in the next post...
Attached Images
OAI 001.jpg (85.9 KB, 157 views)
drivers side profile.jpg (84.5 KB, 149 views)
pass side profile.jpg (91.4 KB, 133 views)
pass side inner fender.jpg (70.1 KB, 139 views)
drivers side inner fender.jpg (95.7 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by defiant1; July 4th, 2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: clarification/typo
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM

I could not afford the aftermarket scoops, so I purchased left and right side brake ducts off of a Dodge Viper (ebay-salvage yard).

I cut ducts in order to fit under the bumper and to accommodate the 4" hose better. I ran screws around the circumference of the end of the duct so the hose clamp has something to hold against preventing the hose from coming off. I wrapped the connection in gorilla tape for insurance.

I reinforced the top of each duct with steel 20 gauge (I think) and riveted in place.

I attached each duct to the bumper support bracket bolt on each side. I had to shim the gap to get the duct to sit low enough (required longer bolts).

I sprayed chassis undercoat paint on the ductwork as well.

So far, so good. It definitely channel bugs up the hose to the air cleaner filter.

I got lots of compliments at the car show I was at this weekend. Although most did not know that the 70 model did not come with the under bumper set up. But, they liked it all the same.

d1
Attached Images
front air scoops 2.jpg (71.2 KB, 175 views)
pass side scoop profile.jpg (45.5 KB, 166 views)
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:15 PM

How is the tire clearance when you sharp rt & lf turns?
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
How is the tire clearance when you sharp rt & lf turns?

No rubbing. The hoses actually fit in the fender area well and since they are flexible if the tire did hit the hose it would flex (I left enough slack in the hose) and not break like a hard plastic duct might. Granted I have not tried a steep approach combined with a sharp turn. Now that I have even a "lower bumper" I take approaches/dips a little slower than I used to.

d1

Last edited by defiant1; July 4th, 2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old July 4th, 2011, 03:52 PM

Got it done and it does not look too bad. Of course the scoops are a prototype and will be subject to change. Below are some pictures.

I got the used RAMAIR dual snorkel off of ebay. It came with a drop base.

The air cleaner lid is 1/8 thick plate steel that I had cut to 15 inches in diameter and drilled in the center to accommodate the threaded rod. I also got this from ebay as well.

The duct hose is suppose to handle 300*, so I am hopeful it will withstand abuse..
where did you get the 4" ribbed hose you used ?

Rgds
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:08 PM

Looks good, hope it works as well as mine does. I got the 4" hose at a place in the Tacoma Tideflats called Timco. I don't recall the phone #.
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:26 PM

Defiant, I hope you don't mind if I plagerize the Viper brake duct idea. I have been looking to find an under bumper kit to pair with the Spectre OAI breather and your idea looks awesome.
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by rptw32

Rgds
I got the hose on amazon, link below
http://www.amazon.com/Thermoid-Neopr.../dp/B0039L5XOU

I used pretty much all 10' of it.

Looks good, hope it works as well as mine does. I got the 4" hose at a place in the Tacoma Tideflats called Timco. I don't recall the phone #.
Yeah, you gave me the motivation to get mine done. Thanks for the info and pictures, it helped a lot.

Originally Posted by Bayou Olds
Defiant, I hope you don't mind if I plagerize the Viper brake duct idea. I have been looking to find an under bumper kit to pair with the Spectre OAI breather and your idea looks awesome.
Definitely, copy away. I wish I could have found a little wider duct opening, the ducts I have are 3" x 6 5/8". I would have preferred at least 8" wide. But it seems to do the trick either way.

As I said in the post above, this is strictly a prototype, so if something comes along that allows me to improve upon this I will be all over it.

d1
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:12 PM

Great looking work!!
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:57 PM

funny thing i was looking to do that to my car so thanks (defiant1) and to all who replied,Anyway i am going to try and do that to mine but im going to use the two slots in my front bumper
Old July 7th, 2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by rptw32

Rgds
I got some duct from Aircraft Spruce....
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/index.html
after looking the other place looks like it is cheaper, and I am all about cheap!
Old July 7th, 2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Great looking work!!
Thanks for the kind words.

Originally Posted by bonezarally
funny thing i was looking to do that to my car so thanks (defiant1) and to all who replied,Anyway i am going to try and do that to mine but im going to use the two slots in my front bumper
No problem. I thought about using the 2 slots in my front bumper as well. Unfortunately the ducts did not fit due to the A/C condenser being located in front of the radiator. Plus I did not know if filling the 2 slots with the ducts would take too much air away from the radiator (while driving) and potentially contribute to overheating.

d1