General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Rocket Racing Valve covers

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2014, 04:58 PM

Rocket Racing Valve covers

I have a set of tall valve covers and am now discovering they wont allow the drivers side alt brackets to fit or the a/c brackets. I would like to run the original brackets with minimal modifications. Is anyone out there using these covers with stock bracketry of some sort? If not are there any companies making olds setups?
Old March 10th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by montvaleplace
I have a set of tall valve covers and am now discovering they wont allow the drivers side alt brackets to fit or the a/c brackets. I would like to run the original brackets with minimal modifications. Is anyone out there using these covers with stock bracketry of some sort? If not are there any companies making olds setups?
I had the same issue and I don't think there is a way to run them with stock brackets.
Old March 11th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

I never cease to be amazed that people are surprised by this. The stock brackets wrap tightly around the stock valve covers. What did you think was going to happen when you changed to taller valve covers? And no, there are no companies who make brackets for the 20 or so Olds owners who want to run tall valve covers and A/C.
Old March 11th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Dear Joe, with all due respect, you have to understand that not everybody is as knowledgable as you.
People make mistakes, especially if this is his first time around a olds engine.
What is the purpose of this forum if people can't ask questions, no matter what they are?
I think we need to encourage people to ask questions and stay in this hobby and not discourage them by answering in such manner.

JMO

Last edited by 70cutty; March 11th, 2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Forgot to add JMO
Old March 11th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Dear Joe, with all due respect, you have to understand that not everybody is as knowledgable as you.
People make mistakes, especially if this is his first time around a olds engine.
What is the purpose of this forum if people can't ask questions, no matter what they are?
I think we need to encourage people to ask questions and stay in this hobby and not discourage them by answering in such manner.

JMO
I understand, but this isn't a case of being knowledgeable, it's common sense. When you look at the stock brackets, there is very little clearance to the stock valve cover. Common sense should tell you that increasing the height of the valve cover isn't possible with that bracket. This particular question comes up a lot, as do questions about "why can't I buy such-and-such a part for my Olds?" Again, the market for these cars is very limited and expecting to have the same level of aftermarket support as for a Chevy is unrealistic. Get a welder and make something that works. That's hotrodding.
Old March 11th, 2014, 04:23 PM

it's common sense

I have to agree.
Old March 11th, 2014, 04:30 PM

I am 49 yrs old and have owned more oldsmobiles than I can count, done countless stock motors and restorations, it is not my first time around one of these engines but had no previous experience with Rocket Racing valve covers. I realize the top bracket is very tight on the left side and was going to make something else work but was trying to use the front part. It looks like the a/c will not work at all with stock brackets anyway but I just threw it out there to see if anyone had worked around some of it so it could look as close to stock as possible. I usually appreciate what Joe has to say as insightful and experienced but in this case you could have saved the snide comments seeing as your supposed to be some kind of someone on this site. Thanks for no help and I guess I'll think twice about contributing at all here in the future. Thanks again Joe. By the way there is a company making a set-up for the 20 or so olds guys that want to run tall valve covers and A/C. -March pulleys- makes an awsome set of brackets and pulleys that I'll be using that place things a little forward of the valve covers though not at all stock but they look awesome.
Old March 11th, 2014, 07:06 PM

Truly the modifications required to the brackets to clear taller valve covers is not that tough access to a welder a 4" grinder with a cutting wheel, couple hours labor and done. Also have to use longer fan belts but easy peasy as they say. have done two of these with edelbrock heads and still easy and looks stock to the unknowing eye.
Old March 12th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by montvaleplace
By the way there is a company making a set-up for the 20 or so olds guys that want to run tall valve covers and A/C. -March pulleys- makes an awsome set of brackets and pulleys that I'll be using that place things a little forward of the valve covers though not at all stock but they look awesome.
If the bling of the March setup is worth the nearly $2K price to you, go for it. Keep in mind that these aren't purposely designed to clear the Rocket valve cover, just to add chrome. There's apparently a larger market for those, but frankly, people who need the taller covers because they are running roller rockers on a high performance motors care more about performance than looks and thus don't carry the weight of the A/C anyway. The factory non-A/C alternator brackets are no problem with the tall valve covers. For that matter, the factory A6 compressor brackets aren't going to clear the valve covers either, so why are you using the A/C alternator bracket. You can buy the non-A/C brackets for the cost of shipping on the March parts. Like I said, your money, your call.

Personally if I wanted tall valve covers with A/C, I'd adapt the 307 brackets for about $20 and have plenty of clearance for the tall valve covers. These brackets use the short R4 A/C compressor, which is also lighter, and mount the accessories far enough forward to clear the covers.