General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Wiring a MSD Ignition to Starter

Old May 30th, 2013, 06:05 AM

Wiring a MSD Ignition to Starter

I am trying to wire an MSD Ignition system to my car (1966 442). Everything was straight forward until I got to the starter wiring. I have a "R" and "S" connector on my starter. The MSD folks said that I hook both of these wires together and tie into the red switch wire on the MSD control box. THis seems off to me. I really need help so I can start my car after 5 years of rebuilding.

It seems to me that the "S" needs to be somewhere else?????

Mark
Marietta, Georgia
Old May 30th, 2013, 07:18 AM

Reply to Reply

So basically I do not need the stock wire from coil to starter as the MSD now takes care of the voltage issue. Does that mean that the "S" connector on the starter goes to the ignition switch so when you turn in all the way over the starter turns and then when you let go the starter stops turning?

Basically none of the two wires from starter should be wired to the MSD red ignition wire. That red wire from the MSD box goes to the ignition switch.

Mark
Old May 30th, 2013, 07:19 AM

So basically I do not need the stock wire from coil to starter as the MSD now takes care of the voltage issue. Does that mean that the "S" connector on the starter goes to the ignition switch so when you turn in all the way over the starter turns and then when you let go the starter stops turning?

Basically none of the two wires from starter should be wired to the MSD red ignition wire. That red wire from the MSD box goes to the ignition switch.

Mark